• Register Today It's free!

Rusted Brake Line

hipocars

Reaction score
City, State
naperville,illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer, Eddie Bauer
The main brake line that runs along the left frame rail is rusted badly to the rear of the gas tank in the section that runs to the rear junction block. What's involved in replacing the line? Do you have to drop the fuel tank to replace this line? Part of the line is hidden by the fuel tank and I can't see if there are any clips holding the line in place.
Does any vendor make prefabricated replacements for any of the hard lines?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are two clips holding the line in place (see my Rear brake line thread ). The brake line is a std 3/16" and can be bought at all autoparts stores. I replace the line from the ABS controller to the rear Hose connection as see in the picture. The brake line is easy to to bend with just your hands, or you can use an inexpensive tube bender <$10 for tighter curves. The correct procedure would be to drop the gas tank as I did, but I know of other members that choice not too (IMO not safe as it exposes the brake lines to damage).

When I did mine I did'nt drop the tank, I just pushed the line down along the rail and secured it on either end of the gas tank.

Its best to drop the tank.. We did that to Spas' 91 when we broke the line at the rear. Its alot easier when the tank is down.. Just pull the whole line in one piece and use it as a reference for where the bends are.

If you're not confident with bending your own brake line, check with these folks Classic Tube. They're friends of mine and might have something prebent.

And, Welcome!, fellow Chicago suburbanite.

Back