• Register Today It's free!

Hole unplugged in axle housing

cdsol

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
While looking for something else under the rear of my '91 Explorer 2WD, I noticed an open (vent?) hole on top of the rear axle housing, between the differential and left rear tire. There was a hose dangling from above it with a plug (probably a fitting with a hole plugged with gunk) that appears like it should have plugged into the hole.

No idea how long that hole was unplugged. Do I need to panic about dust and grime having entered it that will chew up the innards, and immediately change fluids? Or just clean/replace the fitting into the housing and hose then go about my business?

Thanks!

/Carl S
Dallas TX
cdsol@swbell.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pfft. just slip that hose back on and call it good.
Every now and then, mine will slip off while really flexing offroad, and I just pop it back on. Mine came stock with just the tube, no breather vent or anything. 225,000 miles later, no issues.

Pfft. just slip that hose back on and call it good.
Every now and then, mine will slip off while really flexing offroad, and I just pop it back on. Mine came stock with just the tube, no breather vent or anything. 225,000 miles later, no issues.

LOL:D

Back