Sedition

Engine Repair Guy
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Geelong, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT SOHC
So I installed my new radiator today as one part of many I need to replace to "get her into shape" and I kind of have an issue with the fan cowling mating up to the radiator. Check this out......

CAM00269_zps91bf813f.jpg

Bottom

CAM00270_zpsedb5b1ed.jpg

Show me your Cooling Fan Cowling if you have the single core radiator to help me think up some sort of modification as unfortunately Rockauto.com doesn't have fan shrouds for the SOHC v6.

I suppose I should have measured my original radiator core PRIOR to ordering to prevent this moment of embarrassment as it seems Export Explorers are fitted with a Heavy duty dual core radiator as standard.

All criticism and advice is much appreciated, Thank You...;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The early sohcs and the v8s had a dual core, I believe a fan shroud for a ohv 4.0 would work

Doesn't it get pretty hot in Australia? Maybe you should install the correct radiator instead, so your engine doesn't overheat. Even if you cobble together some sort of way to seal the shroud to that rad, the fan is still too far way from it, as the depth is set assuming that second core will be there. That can actually have a major affect on airflow through the rad, and cooling efficiency.

Also, get rid of that lower universal "flex" hose. Those things, specifically the metal spring inside them, are a restriction to coolant flow, and are also just another part failure waiting to happen. The spring rusts, falls apart and either the hose collapses, and/or pieces of rusty spring start floating through your cooling system, clogging the radiator or maybe ruining the water pump. Get the proper molded hose with no spring inside.

Yes it does get hot in Australia, although it's winter at the moment. I also haul heavy loads, like car carriers, and drive on sand. Hmmm... I wonder if Rock Auto would exchange it after I have used it. I have been kicking my self ever since I opened the box.:mad:

If they won't exchange it then I'll just use it during the winter and stay off the sand then sell it off to someone else and let them deal with it, if they even want it that is.

Well, It looks like I won't be returning it. This is what happens when I request return shipping instructions... "Unable to Generate Label: Return Shipping Cost ($350.17) is greater than the value of the parts ($115.79)."

i think you could pretty easily re-make, or extend, the top piece out of sheet aluminum and do something similar for the bottom. ideally the fan should be about 3/4" from the rad, but as long as it draws air through the rad it'll probably be ok.

i put a single core on my '00 5.0 Mountaineer over a year ago. while the core was thinner, the frame was the same width as the two-core i removed, so no gaps. it works fine.

Back