Honda Debuts a 1/2 Ton pickup | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Honda Debuts a 1/2 Ton pickup

:usa: Just think if we would just bite the bullet.. :usa: Americans buy American :usa: made cars"maybe the quality would jump up" I speak from a Nostalgic point..I like the old mom and pop days,Route66, baseball,applepie and American made autos....OOps...off topic..sorry..Hondas do go forever..but I do not think their trucks/cars or thing is ready for some serious rock crawling or ditch jumping... :thumbsup: :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but I do not think their trucks/cars or thing is ready for some serious rock crawling or ditch jumping...

of course it isnt, thats not what its made for. Then neither is an explorer without significant modification. ESPECIALY the newer ones. Hell the latest gen explorer would probably do about the same as that thing offroad till someone broke something. IRS :rolleyes:

Hell the latest gen explorer would probably do about the same as that thing offroad till someone broke something. IRS
You're comparing apples and oranges. The F150 would be a more appropriate comparison and the F150 would simply spank the Ridgeline in offroading. A truck shoukld be tough and capable of heavy-duty jobs, and this truck lacks the balls for that type of job. I just can't see a purpose with the exception of status or purely appearance preferences. It's basically a Honda car with a pickup bed...and an expensive one at that.

A truck should be a vehicle where you should be able to push it to its "reasonable" limits and not break something. Take my dad's '91 F250 diesel (4.10, 4x2, supercab, sticker). It's rated to tow 10k pounds. We've done 14k. Sure, it wasn't safe at all, and we didn't get over about 25 mph, but it still pulled it and didn't break anything.

As I've said before I'd trust a Ranger more than this Honda regardless of all the positive things about the Honda.

Titan could spank it. Even the Tundra would spank it.

Titan could spank it. Even the Tundra would spank it.
Same with the F series, GMC, and Dodge. Why is that?
V8 :thumbsup:
Trucks need torque and a DOHC V6 is good for acceleration and economy, but not brunt like a V8

RedEB said:
You're comparing apples and oranges. The F150 would be a more appropriate comparison and the F150 would simply spank the Ridgeline in offroading. A truck shoukld be tough and capable of heavy-duty jobs, and this truck lacks the balls for that type of job. I just can't see a purpose with the exception of status or purely appearance preferences. It's basically a Honda car with a pickup bed...and an expensive one at that.

actualy i believe its you that are comparing apples and oranges. First off this is the size of a compact truck not a full size. so it in fact would be compared to a ranger if you wanted that debate. Second it isnt built for offroading, contractors, or anything of the like. Its honestly made for the average person that wants to be able to move their family and haul/tow the ocasional thing. How is this not exactly what an SUV is now built for? The only real difference is an open rear.

You Betcha..The Pacific Rim producers know how to get the Americans by the shorthairs. First flood the US with mini-versions of a Fullgrown adults vehicle....built cheap, cost cheap..preying on the US poor economy at the intial time..then throw a Dupont overhaul on the same cheap parts and make the USA pay out the nose for some kind of a functional vehicles. Hey..We all better support :usa: USA :usa: or go to another part of the world and live there!!

I love the :usa: USA :usa:

Darn it..I got off topic again....The Honda crossover something vehicle will sell to the diehard Honda crowd!!

actualy i believe its you that are comparing apples and oranges. First off this is the size of a compact truck not a full size. so it in fact would be compared to a ranger if you wanted that debate. Second it isnt built for offroading, contractors, or anything of the like. Its honestly made for the average person that wants to be able to move their family and haul/tow the ocasional thing. How is this not exactly what an SUV is now built for? The only real difference is an open rear.
Actually, the length and width of the Ridgeline is similar to the F150 more so than it is the Ranger.
F150 Width: 78.9
F150 Length: 211
Ranger Width:69.4
Ranger Length:188.5
Ridgeline Width:77.8
Ridgeline Length: 206.8
The Ridgeline also has macpherson struts...now that's tough! :rolleyes:
This not as SUV, so to compare it's purpose to that of an explorer or 4Runner is, again, not a fair comparison. That would be like me comparing the Mustang to a Yugo- two completely different concepts and vehicles.

Wow, it sure doesnt feel nearly the size of an f150. but it still isnt made to compete with it. Its made for a different audience. I am comparing it to its target audience's other vehicles. Its a car that can haul plain and simple. I respect it for what it is. all a 05 explorer is is a car that can haul.

ll a 05 explorer is is a car that can haul.
Can't disagree with you on that one. ;)
I guess I just don't see the value in a neutered truck, but if the market will support it, then there is obviously a niche that it can fill. I definitely agree that it is meant for a different target audience though, so I wonder how many sales it will really get. That truck will compete against alot of the compact pickups and the Taco and Frontier will give it some pretty good competition for those wanting import pickups.
(I would pick a Ranger FX4 or a F150 FX4!! :D )

TheRookie said:
Wow, it sure doesnt feel nearly the size of an f150.
I was also surprised at how large it was. The Honda pilot isn't that big (escape sized?), and thats what I was expecting since the ridgeline was sopposedly based off it. But it is closer to a Titan, definitly larger than a Ranger.

People like that annoy me. I bet he hates the Japanese too.

Not to sound cold but he needs to let the war go. The man that shot his brother was fighting for his country just like your uncle was fighting for his.

My wife recently traded her '95 YJ for an '05 CR-V, and I'll drive that 60 mi. to Los Angeles over my JP anyday. It is quiet, rides smooth, accellerates, and handles the road w/o bumpsteer, etc. I'd love one of these pickups as a commuter vehicle as well as a vehicle to pickup parts and throw in the bed before a serious wrenching session. It would also work on mild 4WD camping trips where capability is not a concern. Also, since it is a Honda, I wouldn't worry about the thing breaking down every month the way my Ranger did before I sold it...

I really dont like anything about that honda truck. I kind of like the escapes, a 4x4 escape would be perfect around here since it isnt too rough here.. the escape isnt all wheel drive is it? I thought i saw one were you actually have to switch it into 4x4 and 4x4 low? much like the late rangers?

Brandons said:
I really dont like anything about that honda truck. I kind of like the escapes, a 4x4 escape would be perfect around here since it isnt too rough here.. the escape isnt all wheel drive is it? I thought i saw one were you actually have to switch it into 4x4 and 4x4 low? much like the late rangers?

Not so. The Escape is front wheel drive, until it detects wheel slippage (computer monitors it every 50 milliseconds) then it engages the rear wheels. The original ones had a switch so you could select 4WD manually, but on the 2005 the switch is gone and 4WD engagement is automatic. There is no 4X4 low range. Most of the Escapes are 3.0 L V6, but a 2.3L 4 cyl is available. Manual tranny is only available in the base version with the 2.3L engine. :mad: However, the Escape is an attractive alternative is the Explorer is too big or "soccer mom" for you, and I see a lot of Escapes here in NJ. It looks nice, too, but beware the automatic transmission!

Bob

Back