• Register Today It's free!

Hood Release Problem

Maduro

Reaction score
City, State
West. MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
OK, all I wanted to do was refill my windshield washer fluid....go under steering column to pull release lever....NOTHING.....hood doesn't pop. Looked through grill at latch mechanism, but couldn't see anything that I could try and fiddle with. Pushed down on hood, maybe it wasn't latched securely and release wasn't working, still nothing. Could wire from release lever to latch be snapped?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It clould be, I have had it happen before..Lay down in the floor, pull the lever, you should be able to see the wire move inside the cable...

From what I can see Mud, the wire is still attached to the lever inside the truck. Maybe it's snapped somewhere down the line?? If so , is this something that is easily self replaced?

Can you reach the latch from underneath??? you will have to get the hood open to change the cable..It is not to big of job but, you will have to get a replacement from ford..The cable usually breaks in one of two places, right up against the latch, or right up against the lever, take a pair of neddlenose pliars and try to pull the wire from inside the truck, if it moves easily the cable is broken..

Thanks....will give it a shot.

Same problem

My X does the samething but I just have somebody push down on the hood while I pull the lever and it opens. It just started doing this and I don't know why. Hope this works with yours.

In the future guys, give it a shot of wd-40 every now and then..I do the battery terminals and hood latch with every oil change.

Back