• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts

bigmck

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
I need to replace my hood struts on my 2004 Explorer. I have searched on You Tube for a video on how they come off, but have not located one. Have any of you run across a video on this? Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, you should use a screwdriver to undo them from the ball-mount retainer... replaced mine today, actually... autozone, $17.99 each. The metal band is a clip with two notches on the inside to secure behind the ball. Pry it the clip on the indents on the strut top and it will release; don't use a hammer.

Actually, you should use a screwdriver to undo them from the ball-mount retainer... replaced mine today, actually... autozone, $17.99 each. The metal band is a clip with two notches on the inside to secure behind the ball. Pry it the clip on the indents on the strut top and it will release; don't use a hammer.

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try.

mine were rusted a lil bit up here in NH, that's why i needed a hammer lol. i would imagine down south it would be much easier to just pop off with your hands. i lubricated the new ones before putting them on to help with the rusting.

mine were rusted a lil bit up here in NH, that's why i needed a hammer lol. i would imagine down south it would be much easier to just pop off with your hands. i lubricated the new ones before putting them on to help with the rusting.

75ohm said that "The metal band is a clip with two notches on the inside to secure behind the ball". I don't see anything like that on mine. Did yours have something like that?

My new ones came with instructions for removing the old ones. It's pretty easy. Don't drop the hood on your head. Do one at a time with a helper or a broom handle to prop the hood up.

i think there might be a difference between the sport and the 4 door hood struts. make sure you got the correct ones. you could always return what you bought and buy the set off ebay for $20 rather than one.

My new ones came with instructions for removing the old ones. It's pretty easy. Don't drop the hood on your head. Do one at a time with a helper or a broom handle to prop the hood up.

I thank all of you for the help. I will buy a pair and I am sure I can figure out how they go on if there are no instructions. Thanks,

I thank all of you for the help. I will buy a pair and I am sure I can figure out how they go on if there are no instructions. Thanks,

Vice grips on one side since you're replacing them... get the new one on and it will hold it for the side with the vice grips on it -- now you won't drop it on your head! :)

Back