Repolaced Aluminum Hood with steel one, need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repolaced Aluminum Hood with steel one, need help

sgtdon

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hello, After having my 2004 Explorer XLT Aluminum hood repaired 2 times by Ford and 2 times by a private paint shop because it kept corroding I replaced it with a steel hood. NOW the hood will not stay open. I am guesing it is because the steel hood is a lot heavier. I have looked all over and can not find any who sells heavy duty Hood struts.

Did any one have this problem? What did you do about replacing the struts or what can I do??
sgtdsb@roadrunner.com

my body shop guy said the same thing. . .nightmare.
Just some suggestions maybe? try and find a close match? Like another Ford Model with a steel hood of similar size, and with similar mount points?

Well I tried new OEM hood lifts (struts) and they did work so far. My old ones were original so they must have been worn out??? But the hood stays open now and even stays open when I bring it half way down. So I guess that was the problem, I just hope they last a while because the steel hood is pretty heavy. I bought the OEM struts from O'Reilly auto parts for $17.99 each. But for other people with the same problem I did contact an internet sorce that sells H.D. struts for your Hood, and rear tailgate and this is what they told me:

"We have just started to build a special unit with the higher pressure and have not added it to our catalog yet. You can order it by calling into our center at the number listed below. The supports are a higher pressure and the cost is $16.25 each plus shipping. We are ready to ship.
Our part number is 4453N10-N8

Thank You
Lou Fishman

So maybe if the OEM's will not work on your vehicle try these guys it may solve the problem.

2004 Explorer XLT, Roof Rack, 4.6 Ltr, Class III Towing Pkg & NEW STEEL HOOD

Back