Flash

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
1997 SOHC Limited

I had the transmission replaced; I ordered the replacement from the junkyard and had it delivered directly to the mechanic who fitted it.

What I didn't know is that the later model transfer cases don't have the speedo in them, instead it's part of the rear ABS sensor.

So, I can either change out the rear housing on the transfer case and fit the new transducer or jigger the rear ABS sensor to run the speedo.

Is the second option possible? How would I do it?
It sounds a lot easier than the other options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1997 SOHC Limited

I had the transmission replaced; I ordered the replacement from the junkyard and had it delivered directly to the mechanic who fitted it.

What I didn't know is that the later model transfer cases don't have the speedo in them, instead it's part of the rear ABS sensor.

So, I can either change out the rear housing on the transfer case and fit the new transducer or jigger the rear ABS sensor to run the speedo.

Is the second option possible? How would I do it?
It sounds a lot easier than the other options.

Can you put your 97 transfer case on your new trans?

Can you put your 97 transfer case on your new trans?

::whine:: yes. I could also chop the back off the '97 transfer case and stick it on the later trans case.

But wouldn't it be so much better if I could splice a coupla wires?

Well whip out the scotch locks and let us know how it goes?

2 wires on the rear abs sensor and 2 or 3 wires on your typical speed sensor. If it doesn't work one way then there's only one more way it can really go?

I bet you 100 bucks that if you do get it to work, it tells you the wrong speed but.

I bet you 100 bucks that if you do get it to work, it tells you the wrong speed but.

Yeah, probably.

The Explorers that use that sensor for the speedo probably have a different computer.

Back