hooking up a 7 pin connector for trailer haulings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hooking up a 7 pin connector for trailer haulings

damnford

Reaction score
City, State
pine city washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer eddibouere
right now i have the reciever hitch for the trailer hitch but no wires is it possible or even prudent to hook up a 7 pin connector and how is that done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A milti-pin connector is just a connection for wires, and requires wires with existing OEM pins on the end. Nothing more than a fancy semi quick-release connector.

If you do not have a wiring harness for a trailer, you will need to tap into the factory tail light wiring. Solder your connections, and protect them with heat shrink insulation would be good. But the pin connector would only be available between the factory wire connection and the trailer connector. That is, you can not use a pin connector, except in the middle of the system.

Example: Factory wiring>> (additional wiring)>>>>PIN CONNECTOR>>>(additional wiring)>>>trailer wiring harness.

Hard to explain, but this pin connector is not necessary for you, and not really helpful either. Hook your OEM wires to the standard trailer harness that fits the connector on your trailer.

Example: Factory wiring>>>>>trailer wiring harness. (No quick release in the middle). The standard trailer wiring harnesses are already designed for quick release between your truck andyour trailer.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Are you needing a brake controller as well?

1991 Ford Explorer Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring - Curt

That gets you a flat 4 and you can use a converter to get it to work for a 7 pin. HOWEVER, this will not get you trailer brakes. You will need a trailer brake controller and run those wires separately.

This allows you to use the harness above and add in a brake controller:

Adapter 4 Pole to 7 Pole Vehicle End Trailer Connector Tow Ready Wiring 30717

Do you have trailer brakes? Either way, my understanding is that you have NO harness or connection at all behind your truck, and that you will be connecting directly to OEM wiring.

I would match the existing harness on your trailer, (if it is the trailer has the female connector, get the male connector; if the trailer has the male connector, get the female connector). Then direct connect the wires, as indicated: ground, left turn, right turn, brakes and running lights.

I still see no advantage to a harness connection at the trailer, and a second harness or pin connection under the back of the truck. You would still need to splice into OEM wiring, and a second connection is just another set of possible problems.

If this makes any sense....

Good luck.

i don't have any wires for trailer hookup but i wanted to get the 7 pin hookup just in case

Do you plan to use the seven pin connector to attach to your trailer?

you can get a harness that will plug into your harness middle of back if you need brakes or batt chargr that would be separate
roscoe
ps go to a rv store and they can wire all or part

yes, Mr alligator i plan on using the 7 pin connector. i was at Walmart last night and found the connector i need it has both the 7 pin and the 4 pins and i have plenty of wire just need the adapter that plugs into the harness.

Do you have a harness connection on your truck?

Sounds like you are making progress! Can you find a plastic connector behind your rear bumper with four pins in it?

On my 94 the trailer connector was located in the jack compartment, rear drivers side near the top. My 4 wire adapter only brought the wire to below the tail light, I needed a flat 4 extension cable to reach the hitch.

I have the same setup as MrQ noted above...

E32425F2-3987-40B8-AD27-EF7CB8C4B1BD_zpstaawptb7.jpg

nop no wires in the back except where someone twisted and taped the wires together, very bad. it is only three miles from my house to the car i am towing it home no lights.

Back