• Register Today It's free!

Horn location

MikeHTally

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Where is the horn on the '20 Explorer? I'm guessing it's under the trim piece between the radiator and the grille. I want to add an air horn. I bought it for my '19 Escape, but never installed it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is the horn on the '20 Explorer? I'm guessing it's under the trim piece between the radiator and the grille. I want to add an air horn. I bought it for my '19 Escape, but never installed it.
That is where it was located on the 5th gen. I believe it is in a different location on the 6th gen, But where, I don't know. Perhaps you can isolate the area by sounding it.

Peter

Just found this Mike. Let us know if that info is correct. Thanks.
Locate the horns by sliding under the front of your SUV. The Ford Explorer has high and low tone horns that are both under the driver's side headlight behind the front bumper.

Peter

That is where it was located on the 5th gen. I believe it is in a different location on the 6th gen, But where, I don't know. Perhaps you can isolate the area by sounding it.

Peter
Yeah, delaying that as long as possible. I just need to tap into the switch lead to trigger a relay for the air horn. Is there a wiring schematic out there somewhere showing the color of the wire?

Just found this Mike. Let us know if that info is correct. Thanks.
Locate the horns by sliding under the front of your SUV. The Ford Explorer has high and low tone horns that are both under the driver's side headlight behind the front bumper.

Peter
Thanks. I looked in the cavity below the headlight. Nothing obvious. When it cools off, I get under it and go exploring. Funny, the Mazda was a cinch to do. I never did find a way to mount the horn on the Escape. There are lotsa options to mount the horn on the Explorer, but it'll take a while to locate the + lead for the horns and tap into it correctly.

I did see what looks for all the world like a hard drive directly under the headlight. Probably the transformer for the assembly.

Found 'em (I think). Reaching WAY down through a gap in the frame, I can touch what feels like a car horn. 20% further along than I was this morning. Thanks! Looks like there are bunches of screws holding the bottom splash shield.

Finally found it (I think). I found a diagram that was not every Explorer built since Noah built the Ark. The diagram (from Ford) shows them on the passenger side, just outboard of the grill and radiator. I reached way down with a flash light. I think I see the back side of the horns and the mounting bolt. Now, getting to it still seems problematic. Does anyone know what color wire supplies voltage when the horn button is pressed?

Did you every determine how to get to the horn assembly?

Did you every determine how to get to the horn assembly?
No. What I thought was the horn was the egg-crate form inside the bumper cover. I did prep the relay and connection to the battery.

I tried searching online for the location of the horns on my 2020 Explorer but I have not found anything. The horns do not work so I can track it down that way. any suggestions on location and how to get to them?

I tried searching online for the location of the horns on my 2020 Explorer but I have not found anything. The horns do not work so I can track it down that way. any suggestions on location and how to get to them?
Welcome to the Forum Rick. :wave:
Check my post #3 above. I found it with an online search.

Peter

Any luck finding the horns?

Peter

Back