• Register Today It's free!

horn, vac and brake prob.

lobsterman_72

Reaction score
City, State
Hatfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
Hello, could use a bit of help. A friend of mine bought a used 1998 explorer (without me looking at it of course). And apparently who ever owned it before was a hack! Or I guess it could have been a repo.. Anyway.
Airbag light was on and the steering column was 'loose' that was the first thing I attacked. After getting the airbag off found that someone was in there before and broke the clock spring thingy. Continued on and replaced the inner berring for the steering shaft (the yellow gear thingy for the ignition/key was a BEAR! (FYI)). Replaced the clock spring. But the horn dosen't work. I can trigger it from the harness below the column (hear relay) but no horn. I haven't owned an explorer before and can't find the $%^ horn! I looked all over the place! As far as I know it's either disconnected or gone.. (fuses are good) Thats the first problem.
Second, on state inspection got code P0174 and on that, they failed it for emissions for some stupidly bizzare reason. I read somewhere that a vac leak or the mass airflow could need to be cleaned. Went looking for the vac leak and found a hose going nowhere. It's the one thats hard plastic that runs up by where the heaterbox is (left side of the engine (firewall area) looking at the engine) theres little plastic 'clips' holding it to the heaterbox it's really obvious when you look at it. After reaching around and following stuff I found a somewhat useless looking thing with two wires attached and places for two vac lines just dangling in the engine compartment. So my question, is this some kind of relief for the vac system and there isn't another vac line to be connected? I couldnt find any other vac line unaccounted for.
Thirdly, is the e-brake. Stepping on the brake feels like your doing something and the cable gets taught but does nothing to stop the vehicle. But after going threw some of the posts I see I am going to have to get my hands dirty and inspect the brakes.
And if you may want to know what else is wrong with this thing aside from all that that would have cost who knows how much if I wasn't talented and did it my self. Windshield was cracked, passenger door wont open (haven't got to that yet), drivers seat dosen't work (elect), no spare tire and the idiot didn't even remove the fuse for the aftermarket system that had been removed and power wires left behind.
So to anyone that's out there. If your going to buy a vehicle, do yourself a favor and have someone like me, or someone you know and trust and knows what thier doing look at the damn thing before you just buy it!!
Thanks for any help.
Oh and no cracks on spelling and format please this isn't english class.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhhh that's a very good, I mean stupid place for it ... Thank you!

The e-brake issue might be that the linings on the shoes have disintegrated. That happened on my 97 even though I rarely use the e-brake. The e-brake is a standard drum brake inside the rear disc rotor.

Back