horrible suspension rattle

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
I originally had 4" lift shocks from RoughCountry on all 4 corners of my Explorer. I started having a horrible rattle racket from the rear whenever I would hit bumps or the suspension would flex. I crawled underneath the truck one day and found all of the rear shock bushings destroyed and the shocks were bouncing around on the bolts. So I went and got some stock shocks, moved the mounting location to the sway bar mounts and everything was fine for about a month. No noise, nice stiff ride.

Well now the noise is back, I checked the shock bushings and they are fine. I did notice that if I bounce the rear end I the shocks quickly stiffen and then I start hearing the rattle.

U-bolts are tight, spring eyelet bolts are tight, leaf pack is not splayed. I did notice that the pass side frame bushing is starting to give out as the shackle is leaning slightly. Other than busted leaf spring bushings, which are only 3 months old and have maybe 15 miles of hard use on them, I dont know what could explain the rattle.

Any ideas on what to check/look for?

Honestly it sounds like your leaf spring/shackle bushings to me. When those start to go they are gonna make some racket.

im gonna put the rear up on stands and take the bolts out of the springs and inspect all the bushings. if its the leaf spring bushings im calling and complaining and getting new ones pressed in. this is ridiculous.

Back