• Register Today It's free!

Hot rodding ranger

Little snort

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 - 5.0 Ranger stepside
Hi guys. Just beginning the process of hot rodding my 97 2wd ranger stepside. It originally was a 4 banger but the previous owner dropped a rebuilt 5.0 and 4 spd auto out of a mid 80s vicky into it. It's no power house yet, but good starting point. I'm picking up a 2000 explorer to us as a donor for parts. I intend to drop it 4" in the rear. 3" in the front. I'm going to install the 8.8 31spline; disk brake rear diff, plus the driveshalft, and brake bootser. I'll then convert the fronts to disc also. I'd like to swap the 4sp auto for a 5sp auto if I can find one. I think the donor explorer may have a 5spd in it. If it does Then I'm not sure it will convert from the v6 to the 5.0. My ranger also has no a/c in it so that will also be supplied by the donor explorer. Going to build this truck frame off and completely redo it as I go. I'd like to beef up the 5.0 to a respectable, but still drivable 400ish hp.
I'll be watching for any advice or suggestions, and guidance that you guys can offer along the way to help me with this build. Getting excited to get started on it. It's been sitting in my back yard for 2 yrs. Time to get at er.:hammer:
Do any of you have any other suggestions that you can think of? I there anything else that I should make sure that I remove from the donor explorer before the carcass gets scrapped?

Back