• Register Today It's free!

How are V8 explorers?

452films

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Going onto my 3rd explorer, and don't know if I should go for the 5.0.

I like having a decent amount of torque, fuel economy isnt HUGE to me, but I do know that the 5.0 is reasonable. Reliability wise, how is it? I'm looking at picking up something between a 97-99, with under 150,000 miles on it. Leaning towards an E.B. or Limited as well if that makes a difference. Are the trannys solid? I know the 5.0 is a little underpowered, but I do also know its reliable and I have a bunch of 5.0 mustang motor parts that would wake it up.

I guess what I'm really asking is:
How durable are the trannys? Which one does it use? How are the t-cases? Can these Explorers take as big of a beating as my 99' 4.0 SOHC did ( timing chain snapped, but thats common with those especially with my driving style ). I do the occasional off road ( some trails, I never do any rugged mudding or anything like that ).

I guess really any added info would be great and what I should expect in an eddie bauer 5.0 vs a 97 4.0 OHV XLT and a 99' 4.0 OHC XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

99-01 Limited or Eddie would be a good chioce. The viscous coupling is the weak link in the transfer case, and will fail if the same size tires with equal wear are not used. Some people take out the front driveline when this happens, so make sure its not missing on the Explorer you are looking to buy. Take slow sharp turns, cheking for binding or popping in the front end.
The 5.0 is a solid. Add some Torque Monster Headers, Henson tuner, intake and exhaust and have some fun!!

the 5.0L/4R70W is THE MOST reliable drivetrain ever offered in the Explorer. The AWD version is very reliable, but with a few more moving parts, and being a bit heavier, it doesn't get as good of mileage, and isn't AS reliable as its 2WD counterpart.

I have 1 of each, AWD and 2WD 5.0L's....

Ryan

2001 EB 5.0that we bought new now has 135k and the only thing I have done is a water pump.
Of course, besides fluids-tune up-brakes...
That makes it THE most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Ditto on that. Actually, my Crown Vic has been more reliable, but mechanically that's a much simpler vehicle.
Back to the 5.0/4R70W combination: Plenty of torque and power for me, but I don't tow heavy boats or race. AWD was the only option with this combination, and it may not be good enough for off-roading.
Zero transmission or transfer case trouble at 140+K. Coolant leak from timing cover gasket has been the biggest engine problem so far -- seems to be very common with the 5.0L.

2001 EB 5.0that we bought new now has 135k and the only thing I have done is a water pump.
Of course, besides fluids-tune up-brakes...
That makes it THE most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

How reliable is the 5.0L???? How about 200K miles with only spark plugs and idle pulley being replaced. Can't think of a car I have ever seen that has been more reliable than that.
This car has been the epitome of reliability. I couldn't recommend a 5.0L explorer hard enough.

What do you mean by underpowered? Didn't you say your last one was a 4.0?

What do you mean by underpowered? Didn't you say your last one was a 4.0?

Underpowered for a 5.0 V8.

5.0 V8 in Explorer: 210hp
4.0 V6 in Explorer: 210hp

So the 4.0 SOHC and 5.0 make the same amount of HP and right around the same torque numbers with the 5.0 being slightly more.

Actually I Think That 1997+ 5.0's Had the gt40-p series heads, which was like 215hp

I have a 98 XLT with the 5.0, and a 99 Limited with the 5.0. I just bought the limited used, because I want a replacement vehicle for the 98 when it finally goes- in another 100,000 miles.

I am a huge fan of the 5.0, specifically because of the cast iron block and the cast iron heads. All of my personal experiences with aluminum heads involve changing the head gaskets on OTHER people's vehicles. Aluminum and cast iron have pretty different coefficients of linear expansion, and constant heat-cold cycles can scrub the blasted head gaskest out of where they belong.

I'm told the newer Ford engines have solved this problem, but I'll stick to my 5.0 with cast iron GT-40 heads. They've been fine and trouble free for 398,000 miles, and I expect to go all the way to half a million. The 99, I expect the same lifespan from.
Durable? You betcha.

5.0 is almost bulletproof. One of Fords best.
Bone stock vs bone stock, if you're into performance out of the box without spending any additional money, the SOHC will take the 5.0 off the line, totally doesn't matter though because the 5.0 is much easier and cheaper to mod and can and will blow the doors off the SOHC with some weekend bolt on mods. I own a SOHC, and it's been great, but totally would not mind having the 5.0!!!

5.0 is almost bulletproof. One of Fords best.
Bone stock vs bone stock, if you're into performance out of the box without spending any additional money, the SOHC will take the 5.0 off the line
I was surprised by this when I went from my 99 sohc with 4:10 to my 01 limited 5.0.
Running through the gears the first time with the 5.0 I was thinking, hey where are the two other cylinders!!

I did bought one used at 86k. I had following issues:
1. Rusted undercarriage. Not a biggie at first. Till I notice the parking brake wasn't working (rusted solid). Expensive - cable and drum system. And till I wanted to replace the spark plugs and they broke in the block one after another (rusted solid). 700$ expensive (had to remove a head).
2. Used "recomended" 5W-20 oil at the first oil change (at 90k miles) and had issues with oil pressure. Replaced oil pump (500$ labor and parts) - nothing good happend. Now I run (probably like the previous owner) with 5W-40 oil and still have a rattling noise in the engine when it is idling warm. I was expecting to be dead after the "low pressure" episode, but it keeps on going (at 105k).

Now, sure doesn't look on paper that have a lot of power. But when you cruise at 1500-1800rpm and hit the gas to go to 3-4000rpm you FEEL the difference. A V6 cannot match that unless is at 6000 rpm. And that is from where the realibility comes in play.

I get 17.0 mpg average highway/city.

I have a '97 EB 2WD 5.0 w the 4R70W tranny. Purchased at 35K, now have 242K. Only engine /transmission work besides routine maintenance has been a camshaft synchro and a water pump, both in the last 20K miles. I grew up a GM guy, but this vehicle converted me!

Back