• Register Today It's free!

How bad is your mileage?

Karaoke_Carlos

Reaction score
City, State
Simi Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT V8, 6sp Auto
I have a new, 2007, Explorer XLT with the 4.6 V8 engine. My wife and I have been driving it for about 2 months. I am concerned because our mileage seems awfully low. We've been averaging less than 13 MPG. Our driving includes mostly city (about 90%) and 10% highway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey there!

Is that different than what the window sticker said? Mine isn't much better, but I don't even look anymore or check gas prices (as far as which station to go to) - and with the engine/motor you have, that sounds pretty good. I'd say my mileage is fair... I find my station, fill up, and look away, far away... :D

Sticker?

The sticker said low of 15 (city) and high of 21 (highway).

I had seriously hoped to stay above the 15...

Well...

Part of the mileage variation might be due to your area... almost everything is up hill (for those who don't know Simi, it's beautiful!) That engine is working pretty hard to keep you moving... I'm in OC, even down hill is up on a hill - it's true! Do you go to the Valley a lot?

The sticker is averages, it doesn't include a lot of information like, how much you're carrying, is the air on, etc... But where are the pics of the dos mil 7? No pics, come on! :D

I'll try to get some pics of the car up... wife is gone right now (HER car, my payment). I'll see if she lets me close enough to it over the next couple of days.

Suerte!

How's the wind out there now a days? It used to fierce back in the day... that can affect your mileage too...

If it's your wife's, don't worry about it... They don't usually let you do anything to it but look at it or wash it... :) fill up the tank, do the maint, etc... you know how it goes...

Mine is in transformation, almost done... I always ask for pics, but post very few of my own (so don't listen to me :D

13-16 around town, 18+ on the highway with a best of 23. I can't complain.

Id be lucky to get about 13 on good days.... then again i drive a 5.0

Ronald Reagan toward Simi, no?

I have a new, 2007, Explorer XLT with the 4.6 V8 engine. My wife and I have been driving it for about 2 months. I am concerned because our mileage seems awfully low. We've been averaging less than 13 MPG. Our driving includes mostly city (about 90%) and 10% highway.

The pic is small, but that's the former 118 West to Simi 1999 view from the 96. How do you even think about mileage with that view? It's worth it, no? :D

Well i just filled up and figured out that on my last tank i got 13.9 mpg and thats for the 4.0 is that bad for pretty much a stock X with a couple of mods?

Well i do about 50% hiway and city, and i get about 19 to 21. Not to bad for a stock 93x huh!

Umm, i live in idaho! There is not a lot of traffic here! Also, i am a broke collage kid so i drive it like a granny most of the time.And i keep it at 70 miles an hour on the freeway! Slow starts and stops and a manual tranny!
James

You got it made then!

So the lowest mileage here and the highest average out to the sticker mileage, no?

K its kind of long butt this is from a goverment website Heres the website for all of you who do not own a 93 sport with a manual?Dos e this answer your post cause i was a little confused!!!!!!!http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

1993 Ford Explorer 4WD

Use Your Gas Prices &
Annual Miles

Switch to Metric units

Estimated New EPA MPG
MPG ratings for this vehicle have been revised
Regular Gasoline
City 17
Combined 20
Hwy

Compare to Official
EPA Window
Sticker MPG

MPG Estimates from Drivers Like You
Learn more about
"Your MPG"
Average based on 2 vehicles.
Lo
20 Hi
View Individual Estimates
Disclaimer

Fuel Economics
Cost to Drive 25 Miles $4.56
Fuel to Drive 25 Miles 1.47 gal
Annual Fuel Cost* $2734

Based on 45% highway, 55% city driving, 15000 annual miles and a fuel price of $ 3.10 per gallon . Use Your Gas Prices & Annual Miles

Energy Impact Score

Annual Petroleum Consumption
(1 barrel=42 gallons)
20.1 barrels/year

Carbon Footprint

Annual Tons of CO2 Emitted

Personalize Annual Miles 10.8

3.5 16.2

EPA Air Pollution Score

Air Pollution Score Not Available

Safety Crash Test Results
Size Class Special Purpose Vehicles
Engine Size (liters) 4.0
Cylinders 6
Transmission Manual (5 sp)
Drive 4WD or AWD
Gas Guzzler no
Turbocharger no
Supercharger no
Passenger Volume NA
Luggage Volume NA
Engine Characteristics (FFS)
Trans Characteristics NA

How are fuel cost estimates and miles on a tank determined?
Fuel cost estimates are based on 45% highway driving, 55% city driving, 15000 annual miles and a fuel cost of $ 3.10 per gallon . You may customize these values to reflect the cost of fuel in your area and your own driving patterns.

Fill-up cost and the distance you can travel on a tank are calculated based on the combined MPG and the assumption that you will re-fuel when your tank is 10% full.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the difference between air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions?
The Air Pollution score and Carbon Footprint measure different types of vehicle emissions. Air pollutants harm human health and/or cause smog. Carbon Footprint measures greenhouse gas emissions (primarily CO2) that impact climate change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do some vehicles have more than one air pollution score?
Some vehicles are available in multiple emission versions that look the same but have different air pollution scores. Unfortunately, it is difficult to distinguish between similar models.

If you click on the link "Show Detailed Air Pollution Information" above, it will display the emission standard and the 12-digit underhood engine ID. You can identify the cleaner car by matching the engine ID listed above to the Underhood Label Identification Number on the vehicle.

Note: In some cases, manufacturers choose to certify identical vehicles to different emission standards. In these cases, the vehicles will have the same engine ID.

The carbon footprint measures greenhouse gas emissions expressed in CO2 equivalents. The estimates presented here are "full fuel-cycle estimates" and include the three major greenhouse gases emitted by motor vehicles: carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane. Full fuel-cycle estimates consider all steps in the use of a fuel, from production and refining to distribution and final use. Vehicle manufacture is excluded. (U.S. Department of Energy, GREET Model 1.7, Argonne National Laboratory)

NA - Not Available

Color vehicle photographs have been provided by the vehicle manufacturers or their representative and are used with their permission. Black and white photographs are as published in Ward's Automotive Yearbook(R), 1985-1999 and are used by permission of Ward's Communications, a world leader in automotive information.

DISCLAIMER: The user estimates shown above are based on data from Your MPG users rather than official sources. Since the source data cannot be verified, neither DOE nor EPA guarantees the accuracy of these estimates.

The very bottom Disclaimer says it all... Good posting!

I average around 19-20 with a high around 22. I drive around 15 miles at a constant speed to and from work everyday so it's not exactly city driving but I'm still pretty pleased. The big plus for me is that I can run regular gas instead of premium like the Lincoln it replaced.

I also average 19/20 with my 91
My Commute is 150 km or just short of 100 mi and it's all on the highway with no traffic except maybe a moose or bear .
I am on 33" with 3.55 gears and 5 speed manual.
I don't keep track around town but I'm sure it sucks bad.
I'm going to go to 4.10 gears soon for better offroad and expect my milage should be atleast as good on the highway but better in town not to mention way better offroad performance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 4.0 XLT 4WD, had been getting about 14 in the city and 20 highway.

Just changed plugs and wires, balanced and rotated tires, cleaned the whole fuel system, changed the oil, and replaced the air filter (replacing the PCV valve if I can find it, and the fuel filter this weekend)... so we'll see how that changes things. I'd be happy with 15 city and 21 highway.

Back