How bad is your mileage? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How bad is your mileage?

07 XLT w/ V8 milage

I feel lucky after reading these messages about milage. In Longmont, Colorado I get about 17.9 mpg (mostly city). On hwy trips I gotten about 21 mpg. We use 87 octane but sometimes 85 and I have not seen a real difference in mpg between them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get about the same as everyone else, 13 in the city and 15 highway. I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

I have new (bought July this year) 4.6 LTD. I live in Russia, we estimate fuel consumption in liters per 100 kilometers measure. If I'm not mistaken, transfer between measures is MPG=235/LTRSP100KMS and vice versa. So, recalculating my figures to MPG's the best mileage yet I had on swedish highways - 18-20, those roads are very good, one of the best in Europe. They allow 110 km/h (69 MPH), but you can safely drive at 75 MPH there for hours. At that time my car was just bought, which means slightly lower mileage. Currently I am driving only in St.Petersburg, which is a big city with heavy and badly organized traffic. The figure is 10 MPG.

Milage -- 2006 Limited

Mileage depends alot on where and how you drive. I get about 11.8 MPG driving back and forth to work (3 miles one way), no expressway. If I drive to my in-laws (mainly all expressway), I've gotten over 23 MPG.

2006 Expolorer - Limited V8 4.6L

We live in a pretty rural area, on the backroads I average around 17.5.

If you cruise on the highway @ 65-70 you can see 21 or so.

City or any stop and go activity, looking at 14-15.

This is a heavy rig, keep it moving and it is ok.

Also, using anticipation helps keep the mileage up, I average 1-2 mpg better than my wife and I tend to drive faster. I try to avoid speeding up and having to use the brakes excessively, avoid tailgating, etc. Remember, each time you use your brakes, your MPG goes down.

LOL you guys shouldnt complain, i get 9.3mpg in my city. ALOT of stops.. probably 90% its town traffic....

btw i own a 07 ford explorer V8

my last tank i got 11.83mpg thats almost all city driving and we just had a big snowstorm here on sunday i was in 4x4 alot too.

btw i got a 2002 V8 XLT

I have been driving a built 350 small block in a full size 92 blazer. 7 to 9 MPG. And I couldn't be much happier!

Mpg....

My 02 XLT 4.0 SOHC gets a good 20mpg average with 40/60 city & hiway driving.. and in L.A. it is a lot of stop and go. :roll: I have a K&N drop in, new plugs and cleaned the MAF and IAC. Next oil change will be with synthetic as well as the tranny. Like DWINK I drive with anticipation also. Take a look at Aldive's Quest for 30 threads and that might help you all to save $$$$$. I am totally against throwing my hard earned greenbacks down the exhaust! A little investment in time and parts can do wonders. Oh...BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR! :confused: :thumbsup:

Our 2006 Eddie with the V8 4x4 and 42k miles will return about 15mpg in the city and almost 20mph on the higway going b/t 75-80. This is in the suburbs of Chicago in December.

The very best I have seen was on a fall (100%) highway trip at 75mph= 20mpg.

Make sure your tire pressure is where it should be and you have a clean air filter. I noticed ours dropping about 5-10k ago. Addressed both of those and saw it climb about 2mpg.

Good luck!

Back