how can i tell if i have a stock limited slip differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how can i tell if i have a stock limited slip differential

punkbek3886

Reaction score
City, State
Vero Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
i was just wondering, i have a 91 explorer sport and i want to know if the original owner got the limited slip differential that was offered as an option from the factory. how can i test for this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look in the Door Jam at the white sticker, look for the Axle code and post it here, from that information we will be able to tell you if your vehicle came with a stock limited slip diff

Or on the pumpkin it will tell you which rear-end you have as well as the gear ratio and wether or not its limited slip, might have some other stuff too I dont really remember, but its something like this (roughly)

8 8 3 73L

Meaning an 8.8 /w 3.73 and limited slip.

D4 is the l/s axle code

Originally posted by Mbrooks420
D4 is the l/s axle code

Only for a 3.73 limited slip. Ford also offered a 4.10 limited slip (D2) although I don't think so in '91, a 3.27 limited slip and a 3.55 limited slip.

Opps, I thought there was only the 3.73, until later years.

the axle code is d4! that is awesome! how good is the factory l/s diff anyway?

by the way, does that mean it has l/s both front and rear or just rear?

It's just the rear, and I really like mine. They do wear out, but the parts to fix it are under $100. The factory l/s works well as long as you are easy on the gas.

i looked on my white sticker in the door and under the axle it said 45 what exactly does that mean

Originally posted by zavaral
i looked on my white sticker in the door and under the axle it said 45 what exactly does that mean

It seems that Ntrpriz's site doesn't work any more, so I ran a search, and found this thread:

Dead Link Removed

You have the 3.55 open diff.

on that thread it said

45 Open 3200 3.55

what does that **open 3200** mean from that i dont have limited slip (damnit) but what does that open 3200 mean

ohhh ok how much would a limited slip 3.75 cost around

so does that mean that there is no traction aiding device in the front? if not, how much would it cost to get one? i can do my own mods, so all i need is the cost of parts.

Back