How can I upgrade my disc brakes? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How can I upgrade my disc brakes?

91-94 should be the same rotor, caliper, etc

This thread overlooks the fact that some year Sport tracs have larger rotors then our Explorer's, you need the entire knuckle to make this work (caliper bracket) from what I understand.

I have had very good luck with upgrading the pads, keeping stock calipers lubed (slide pins) and clean, as well as Dot 4 fluid in the lines and the system bled.
I prefer Performance Friction Carbon metallic pads, they work great with stockish rotors.

Getting into aftermarket calipers and rotors can get real expensive real fast and will likely require fabriction to make them fit, as well as modifications to the master cylinder/ ABS system, etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune said:
This thread overlooks the fact that some year Sport tracs have larger rotors then our Explorer's, you need the entire knuckle to make this work (caliper bracket) from what I understand.

I didn't know that about the Sport-Tracs. Are you saying you just need the Sport-Trac's knuckle-to-caliper bracket to fit these rotors, or you need the entire steering knuckle that connects to the control arm?

entire steering knuckle
the conversion is covered on this site

I have Bendix Ceramic pads with stock rotors using DOT3 fluid and I feel the stopping is superb on my 265/70/17s. I'll be upgrading the fluid soon when I renew my whole front end. I know for a fact that my Sport Trac will stop shorter from 60-0 than my buddy's '04 Mustang GT with stock equipment.

I hear a parachute may help. Ive given up on my brakes. They suck plain and simple.

I was talking with a friend last night, and well he parted out a 2004 ranger Edge SOHC 4x4.
Apparently it has much larger calipers and rotors then my gen II Ex.
He has the parts still.
I will be looking into this.

I found ceramic pads stopped AWESOME but they chewed up my rotors very quickly, like in 3 months

Back