• Register Today It's free!

How capable is a stock Ex offroad

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
How capable is a stock Ex offroad

I have a friend who just bought a 2k 4x4 and wants to ride offroad, What can he do? What would he have to mod to be able to go offroad?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We just took my GFs stock '98 Sport offroading. It did suprisingly well. The most hindering part would probably be the clearance and stock tire (size and tread).

He wants to go with a bunch of Jeepers to Tellico.

Do NOT even think of taking a stock (or even close to stock) explorer to Tellico. It will get trashed.

It has surprised me a couple times, but without any lift or bigger tires youll definitely be missing out. Overall, it does better than youd think.

stock is not too bad... but it will see its demise if you take it to tellico from everything i can tell.

tell him to take it somewhere more tame first. he needs to get some skid plates first. then he can go from there.

I'd say that he'd need some good tires, TT/shackles, and a some darn good points for tow straps if he doesn't get more lift.

Tellico is pretty daggum muddy

What kind of mods are on the Jeeps? If he can find a group of stockers or close-to-stockers to go wheelin with, he would prolly have a good time.

There are a lot of variables involved. The types of trails he wants to go on. If his rear dif is open or LS. His comfort level to vehical damage. The amount of mods and driving ability of the others on the trail. Etc.

Also, remember to encourage him to make the investment in the proper safety and recovery gear. This equipment is a MUST if going wheelin.

Wish Him Luck!

there's no way i'd take a new "to me" 2k stock explorer i just bought to tellico. i'd want to get a few pics of it "before" it went....lol. it wont be the same coming out.

Al,
I don't think that Tellico is the place for your friend to try out his new truck. JMHO.
He will need to get some skid plates, as I know that Ford stopped putting them on in 2000. Tow points are also something he will need to get, as well as recovery gear, i.e..tow straps etc...
The stock Explorer is quite good for off roading, but not up to the calibar of Tellico. I'm sure that you can find somewhere else that isn't quite that bad.
Tell your friend good luck.

mud + stock tires = big whoops!

trust me.....i've done it and will never try it again!

My X is stock and it has suprised a few people, but it does have its limitations. Tell him to get some trail books and start on a low level trail and work his way up. Skid plates would be a good investment.

my 92 x stock kept up with my buddies lifted K5 blazer, but then again i would think a first gen X would be more capable then a 2K due to Articulation but who knows

mine has never been offroad but i would feel fairly confident that it would not let me down. on minor things that the stock system was designed to handel that is

My stocker vs my buddies jeep with 31 MT. Did very well. He could get through stuff in 2WD that I needed to use 4WD, but the v6 with the extra weight/momentum got me through some stuff without a problem. Of course if you get stuck, a jeep can't pull you out. If you REALLY get stuck that is.

In mud and water it's no big deal. With rocks I was able to go in the same area and give me stock skid plates a work out. I didn't attempt the same drop that he took, but I was still impressed.

i got really stuck a while back in clay to the top of my rims frame in mud both diffs submerged exhaust under mud too jeep cj 4 cyl w/ 32x11.5 got me out they are tough *******s

Back