how do I change all of the transmission fluid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how do I change all of the transmission fluid?

jrguzmanr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer 4.0
I've been reading on how to change the transmission fuild but all I've read is about dropping the pan and replacing the filter. This only changes about 25% of the fluid, what do you guys (and gals) do to replace the remaining fluid? BTW, I have a 2004 explorer v6 4.0.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A flush is how it's done. I have done it to my '93 and it is not at all difficult. I disconnected the cooler line and put it in a bucket, put a funnel in the dipstick tube. Start engine and let idle, the fluid flows slowly out of the cooler line, as it flows out replace it by pouring fresh fluid into the dipstick tube. Do it until you feel like the fluid is all nice and clean, I ran a 5 gallon pail through (that is probably a bit excessive). I then removed the pan, installed a Fram Dacron filter, topped up the pan (check while idling) and as they say, Bob is your uncle.

I also installed an inline filter (in the cooler line). I made my own set-up but you can get them at transmission shops or Ford has a kit IIRC.

I don't have a dipstick

Both of the replies refer to a dipstick for refilling but from I've read the gen 3 don't have a dipstick. Any other alternatives? Maybe refilling from the plug in the pan? It's sounds like a pain already.

Right... stupid no dipstick...

How about a cheap drill driven pump from Harbour Freight? Hook it to the return line from the cooler. That is, run the cooler feed line to your empty bucket, the drill driven pump feed line can go in the bucket of fresh fluid and you can hook the output from that drill pump to the cooler return line going to the transmission. That will feed the pan with fresh fluid.

that sounds likea good idea. How can I make sure that I'm delivering the same amount of fluid as the one that I'm losing?

At idle the fluid flows pretty slowly, it's easy to gauge how much to add. If you wanted to run it into a large mixing cup marked with quarts it'd be easier. You could watch each quart run out and replace it at the same time. When it gets full dump it into a bucket etc.

Complete transmission service at my local Ford dealer $199.95.
Dropped the pan and replaced with an OEM Motorcraft FT filter.
Used a BG PF5 flush machine and 20 quarts of Mercon V (10 qt. capacity)
Fluid and filter alone $140. A bargain IMO, without the mess and hassle.

No electric power is needed. Very cool machine:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-sHHDw&usg=AFQjCNHnHp6gALo6WB9723MZXnQcsEYOBA
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1_ySDw&usg=AFQjCNFmS4Ne1lqWktZ1Ud0zbevV_FItOA
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...1_ySDw&usg=AFQjCNGAB0BT8nOSeLQ4jwbd6Y6epRy1gA

Back