How do I get my air bag light off after a crash? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I get my air bag light off after a crash?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Hey Guys,

I'm at a loss here with my air bag light. Can't figure out how to turn it off now. My truck was recently in a 30 mph crash of which both air bags deployed. All is repaired - 2 new air bags and module plus all body panels of course. I thought my seat belt pretensioner needed replacement but as it turns out, I think it's okay. A parts guy at the recycling yard told me if the crash did set off the internal pressurized system (pretensioner), the seat belt would lock and not even allow me to put it on. Essentially, it would need to be cut out and replaced.

Now I can't figure how to get my light off? The shop that did the work did clear all the codes. But perhaps they didn't do it right? What else would cause my air bag light to stay on after a crash? At first the electrical wasn't 100% and my air bag light was not coming on - rather I was getting the 5x5 beeps. Now the electrical is buttoned up, I'm happy to see the air bag light on cause I know it works, but now I gotta figure out how to get it off.

What could be causing all this? The code I'm seeing is 2 blinks, then a single blink, and the cycle happens 5 times, then stays lit. So I guess that's a 21 code?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it still flash a code on startup or does it just stay solid?

Yes, it does flash a code, then stays lit. It will blink twice, pause and then a single blink, and then repeats for a total of 5 times. Am I correct in my assumption of code 21?

That = code 21. RCM Bracket Ground Resistance High. That means that the Restraint Control Module has a grounding issue. Usually means that the module is not connected fully to the vehicle. I wonder if when they attached it, they didn't tighten it all the way. It is either that or the connectors are loose causing a grounding issue.

I can probably check the module to make sure it's tight. I know it's in the center console somewhere, but where exactly? Is it easy to get to?

I don't get it. Got the console out and it seems all connections to the Restraints Control Module are tight. One of the three 3 screws holding it in place was not screwed in but I tightened it and I'm still getting code 21 for the air bag. Maybe I need to reset things by disconnecting the battery? Does it need to go to Ford to be reset? Is the control module bad or the shop never replaced it like they said they did. I believe they did put a new module in since one screw was not on. It would never leave the factory like that.

I would try and disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to see if that solves the issue. The system may have stored the code and since it had not lost power it just kept telling you that the issue still existed.

Thanks, I'll try that. Maybe that one missing screw bolted in now will help. I did also see one brown plug freestanding that basically has nothing to plug into. Otherwise, maybe I need a new clockspring? Shop said it was okay and they didn't need to replace it. I'll try the battery memory kill for now.

Damn, tried it today. Unplugged the battery literally for hours while at work. No success. Still getting code 21. I don't get it. I'm at a loss here.

What else could it be?

Now I can't figure how to get my light off? The shop that did the work did clear all the codes. But perhaps they didn't do it right?
No warranty on the shop repair? Instead of racking your brain, take it back. :scratch:

I would take it back but based on my experience, this shop isn't very good with electrical stuff. I actually feel more comfortable working on it myself. But, I may get so frustrated that I'll be forced to bring it back and give them hell. I just don't want them screwing things up further. It's a shame that places like this exist, and it was a neighbor referral too.

It may cost a bit of money but I think the ford dealer could tell you what the diagnostic code would be. The flashing code could be a few things related to the grounding issue and ford (in my experience) is the only place that can read the specific airbag module DTCs.

i would bet that the rolling ball inside the crash sensor module up by the rad is the key,,

they usually have a magnet in them, and if it is triggered, it must be replaced,,
go to the junkyard find an Explorer that does not have the airbag deployed, get the shock sensor , and replace it,,

it;s the top sensor in this picture,,

Attachments

• 1 airbag sensor.gif
    1 airbag sensor.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 446

also , when doing any airbag control module work, unhook the battery and walk away from the vehicle for at least 45 minutes,,
the control modules have capacitors in them that store enough energy to deploy the airbag at any time, and messing with the module will trip them and could cause injury , or death,,

the end result of that was the guy on the hood died as a result of injuries to his neck, all cause he touched the control module case with the jaws of life , grounding out the module, triggering the bags

I did bring it into a Ford dealer and before saying okay to any work, they said it scanned an "air bag fault" code. They're telling me it could one of the two air bags that were put in. All other codes cleared. I got the vibe that even they weren't sure and had to do PIDS testing or something to really narrow it down. It sounded very technical. Before I pay them for all this time they would spend on it, I want to see if I can replace any simple parts on my own to fix it.

If the module is bolted firmly to the chassis, then the problem either exists with the wiring that is leading to the airbags themselves (open circuit) or the module is not working properly. I do not have the shop manual to see how to test the circuit, maybe someone who does have it can chime in.

Back