• Register Today It's free!

how do i know....?

Michigander

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, Midland, Ann Arbor, Alpena; all in Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Contour SVT
I just bought my '95 Eddie Bauer and I need to know some things about it. It is supposed to have the towing package, but I don't know what that consists of. I ran a search of the forums and it sounds like the towing package has different gearing, limited slip and extra coolant or something. How can I tell what gearing I have? How do I know if I have limited slip? I need to know because we are considering buying a boat and I don't want to get something that will kill my X. It doesn't have a hitch (only on the bumper) so I know I'll have to add that.
How much do you think I'll be able to tow with my explorer? (not tongue weight but gross weight) Does anyone out there tow big boats? I'm scared I won't be able to pull a big boat out of a wet, steep ramp.
Any other comments would be helpfull. Thanks for helping me out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check sticker on the drivers door in doorjamb. in the corner it will say axle code post this result. i have a d4 which is a 3.73 with the trac-lock/lsd

depending on the hitch you get a regular class 3 hitch will be able to pull 5000 lbs trailer weight

I just went and looked at my door jam... the axle code is D4, and the springs are B F (if that matters) I also noticed on the top it said"GVWR-5360 lbs" So that answers my question, right?

Anyone Correct Me If I May Be Wrong

I have the same axle code on my Explorer, But the D4 Axle code is a 3.73 Limited Slip gearing, yup i am right here it is:

<<Here's a list of the Axel codes for Explorers, as you see yours is a 3.73 ratio with factory limited slip.

Code Capacity Ratio
43 Open 3200 3.08
41 Open 3200 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3200 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73 >>

I have had no problems pulling my 20' bay boat with my '98 Explorer (SOHC w/towing package). I estimate the combined weight of the boat, motor and trailer (including fuel) is in the 3,500 to 3,750 pound range. The trailer is tandem axle with surge brakes. I think the tandem axles significantly improve the weight distribution and tongue weitht. I am definetly sold on the surge brakes and would get them again. The one downside is that corrosion gets the best of them in salt water despite a flushing system and they last only one to two years.

With respect to power, I have had no problem on steep and/or wet boat ramps. The only draw backs I have experienced are gas mileage and acceleration, both of which I expected. With the boat, my gas mileage is almost one-half what it is without the boat. Also, although it has ample power at cruising speeds, acceleration is limited. This might be more of an issue in hilly terrain (its flat here). I hope this is useful. Also, for what is worth, I regularly tow the boat from 75 to 250 miles round trip.

thanks for all your help

I pull a 22' Bayliner with mine, no trouble..Trl has tandam axsles and electric brakes...91 sport 4x4

HEH HEH Gotcha ALL beat! 7000LB Gross horse trailer, the most I have pulled so far is 6200 LBs. My mileage was about the same pulling or not, around 13 MPG.

To answer the main question at the start of this thread. The towing package doesn't necessarily mean it has a hitch. There should be a harness that plugs into a plug under the rear bumper to the right of center for the trailer lights. It is wired so that the vehicle lights are protected from the trailer. Second there are additional coolers for the transmission, and in my case, engine oil. I think the power steering has a cooler in all models, but then again that may also be part of the package. Third, Gear ratio is usually around 3.73 like the D4 code. The bumper usually has a capacity of 300 lbs tongue weight, 3500 lbs pulling capacity. There are many different classes of hitches available, all the way to class IV, which is what I have, with a tongue weight of 500 lbs and pulling of 6500 lbs, and with a Weight Distributing hitch ball assembly 800 LB tongue, and 10000 LB pull.

As far as pulling, I usually keep it in overdrive unless I encounter a long uphill grade of 7% or more, and then I drop into 3rd or maybe even second depending on the grade. As far as trailer brakes, I have electric, since surge brakes are a no-no for a horse trailer, they don't have a break-away capability like electrics do, plus it is a simple matter of adjusting the stopping power, just rotate a knob. Surge brakes can get you into a push-pull situation downhill which can get a little nerve racking, especially with a heavy trailer.

If you have an OHV, I wouldn't try pulling anything over 3000Lbs, acceleration isnt that good, and there isn't much in the way of passing power. The SOHC is a very good engine for up to maybe 4500lbs, anything higher would be too stressful on it, even though it may seem to handle it. The V8 is the best bet for heavy towing, even with AWD, but for regular driving, it sucks. Too bad I just couldnt push a button and swap engines for the driving I do. :)

Back