How do I tell which transmission I have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I tell which transmission I have?

dt98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
How do I tell which transmission I have in my 1999 Explorer Sport?
It has 4.0 SOHC, automatic with the dreaded 2nd to 3rd slip.

I want to try Donny's vb from Central Valve but don't know which transmission I have so to order the vb?

Do I have to get underneath and look on the trans or will the VIN identify the trans?

Thanks, Dennis

BTW, currently has 145K showing. Had trans flushed at dealership at 90K. Slip is intermittent and sometimes seems to be temperature related.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5r55e

How do I tell which transmission I have in my 1999 Explorer Sport?
It has 4.0 SOHC, automatic with the dreaded 2nd to 3rd slip.

I want to try Donny's vb from Central Valve but don't know which transmission I have so to order the vb?

Do I have to get underneath and look on the trans or will the VIN identify the trans?

Thanks, Dennis

BTW, currently has 145K showing. Had trans flushed at dealership at 90K. Slip is intermittent and sometimes seems to be temperature related.

Easiest way is to go to fordparts.com and type in your VIN number.

Thanks everyone...I'm going to contact Donny today and order a vb and solenoids.

If I have a drain plug installed in the trans pan when I have it off, where is the best place on the pan to install?? ...back corner, front, middle of pan...any suggestions?

It's the 4WD...switch on the dash for auto, full time, high, low, gee I'm working from memory but it is a 4WD... and BTW, sometimes the 4WD High/Low light on the dash blink on and off...good ole Ford trannys LOL

It's the 4WD...switch on the dash for auto, full time, high, low, gee I'm working from memory but it is a 4WD... and BTW, sometimes the 4WD High/Low light on the dash blink on and off...good ole Ford trannys LOL

4x4 light has nothing to do with transmission. It is a fault associated with transfer case. Ford has a tsb 99-14-2 for repair procedures to follow.

Thanks for all the help everyone! This is a great forum!
I ordered a valve body from Central Valve Bodies today. It's supposed to be bolt in ready and hopefully will cure the 2nd to 3rd shift slip.
I have a little time to check out adding a drain plug.
I will change the filter while the pan is dropped...probably use a Fram unless I hear there's a better brand.
About the flashing 4X4 lights on the dash, unless it will do damage to the system I will let it go for the time being. Looks like more $$$ that I want to pay at this time. I will watch and see if it only happens when it's raining.

Back