• Register Today It's free!

How do i test a fuel pump?

michelynna

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer
OK i posted in another thread about the original issue ( will crank/turn over but not start up) and yesterday had tested the fuel pump for pressure ( just by taking off the rail cover and pushing down the plunger with screw driver while i had someone else turn the key) and it showed i had pressure and fuel came out...
HOWEVER now today i did the same thing and i have ZERO pressure and no fuel coming out. I am not out of gas, have at least a bit over a 1/4 tank (and yes the gauges work).

Sooo whats another way to test to see if the fuel pump itself is bad or if theres another reason ( a relay, fuse whatever) that is causing the fuel pump not to pump? I was told to test to see if was getting power to a grey wire from the fuel pump... and that it should blink 5 times, My test light showed no power....no blinks no nothing.

Also the reset button for the fuel pump is pushed all the way in..is this where it should be? and is there something i should hear that would tell me the fuel pump is running?

I just dont want to replace the fuel pump if perhaps theres a way i can first test it ( without a pressure gauge) to be sure thats what it is and not something else that just not relaying the info TO the fuel pump to pump!

* checked spark I have spark

Back