how far will tt lower the explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how far will tt lower the explorer

F

flumpmasterflex

if i twist the tortion twists in the front of my 97 explorer sport... how far will it let me lower the front of the explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im wondering the same... but what im also wondering is... can the bolt come out? and if it does what could happen?

(so far ive gone down about half an inch)

it can vairy most drop 2-3" and yes the bolt can come out because people get longer ones. please try doing a search next time .

i did the search... most people do the TT to higher the truck... so i gave up after the first page of listings (plus i only skimed through the posts... i may have missed it)

I was playing with the tortion bolts this weekend trying to get the desired height. Took the bolts out and the drivers side lowered 3.25" but the passenger side only went down by 2.75". Bummer.

I finally settled to 2.25. More or less back to where I started. :rolleyes:

i want to go lower (equal hight all around)... but i need to get my exhast done first... then ill lower it more... i need to make clearance with the "racer" mufflers im getting, plus i got to remove the spare tire to get my exhaust how i want it

my guess for the lower passenger side is the gas tank... its on the driver side so ill have to readjust my TT when i have half a tank that way its mid weight

Just flip it and you can play with 2-5" of drop, it's alot easier than most people think. You put the bolts back in when you do the adjuster flip, and you can use longer bolts to keep lifting it up to around 2", all the way down to about 5".

i only had one problem so far with my 1.5" front end drop (i think thats how much i lowered it)... my tires screech more (scares the crap out of me on turns now... im afraid of losing traction on the front end) i would take it in for an alignment... but then id have to pay another $50 or so... plus i might need the camber kit now... so ill wait till i get my new rims and the shop says i need the kit, then ill deal with it

from my research, anything more than a .5" drop needs a camber kit

That may be your problem?? for around 20$ shipped, why not?

I got about 5" out of my front end by just removing the tt bolts and getting lower profile poly bump stops for it. I know more often than not people on this site claim 2-3" but each car is different. Do it to your and measure, if you want more drop flip the adjuster like draft said. However, read up on the adjuster flipp, if not done correctly it can slip out of place. As for alignment be prepared to have negative camber since even stock height explorers are known for having negative camber.

I loosened it so much the bolts came out, and if the front did get lower, it wasn't even half an inch... so apparently the tortion twist is a joke for new exploders..

i did mine on my 2001 sport and the front left went down like 3.25 and the right went down like 2.90 inches with the bolt all the way out so I put the right side barely back in and I screwed the left side in to match it at about 2 and 3 quarter or 2 and a half inches. whats funny is on the way to big 10 tires the torsion bolt fell off the right side so now I adjusted the other bolt so there is a bolt on the drivers side but not on the passengers side its been like that for a while now and I have no problems I don't even bottom out. I guess I just drive like a grandma. My camber kit and the alignment cost me 150 dollars at big 10 tires.

Owners of 95-97 Explorers should avoid flipping the torsion lever. Those models have a kevlar pad on one side for friction/absorbtion, etc. If you turn that lever over, you will have a metal to metal contact point, and squeaks, etc. The 98-01 Explorers have the friction material affixed to the frame pad, above the torsion lever.

I paid about $32 for the camber washers at Advance. They make an alignment easier for the shop. Here an alignment is less than $50. Good luck,

X~FACTOR said:
I was playing with the tortion bolts this weekend trying to get the desired height. Took the bolts out and the drivers side lowered 3.25" but the passenger side only went down by 2.75". Bummer.

what size tire are you runing?

X~FACTOR said:

I know this is an older post, but how does lowering your truck 2.25" become "more or less" where you started? Isn't it just about 2.25" lower than where you started?

It was already lowered, but he tried to remove the bolts to get even lower but one side wouldn't. So he put it back to where he had it before.

^yep.

eworx said:
what size tire are you runing?
It was 265/70-15 then... it's now 255/60-17 and 275/55-17.

By the numbers I should be 0.6" lower but I actually stayed the same. A co-worker explained that the lower profile tires do not have the same "give" as the meaty 70 series tires. So the truck height stayed just about the same if not higher!

Back