How has your Dealer Been through This Process? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How has your Dealer Been through This Process?

mtuhoop24

Reaction score
I want to know how everyone's dealership has been through this "waiting for our vehicle" process? I don't think mine has been too great but I don't want to judge to quickly.

As usual before I actually ordered the vehicle the sales guy was all over me. E-mails, phone calls etc.........once we came up with a deal and I put $500 down (Jan 4) it is like they have disappeared. It seems like none of the communication has been proactive on their part. I was told 6-8 weeks so in the first 4 I had only two e-mails to my sales guy requesting information or sources of information I could read up on the Technology. I didn't get much of a response. Then when it approached the 6 week point I called and basically got "we told you we would call when we knew something" answer.

I ordered the vehicle because they told me they would get an extra 3% from Ford. I had found one in Atlanta but if they shipped that one up they wouldn't have gotten the 3%..........so I thought - what is 6-8 weeks.

Now that it is going on 12+ (although ETA is for tomorrow) I think it is pretty bad. I had called them yesterday morning for info and they said they would call me back - if I hadn't called them later in the day because I realized they had given me the wrong VIN number 4 weeks ago (I had to request the VIN - no body called) I don't think I would have gotten a call.

I sent them an e-mail on Sunday suggesting that maybe I should get some free splash guards ($183)..........but no response. Even after I talked to them twice yesterday.................

I have purchased several vehicle before but I have never had to order one. This doesn't sound like good service to me..............

All totaled I think I have contacted the dealer through e-mail or phone call about 9-10 times and half of those were just trying to get more info about the vehicle operation while I wait! The dealer hasn't called me once in a proactive fashion.

How has your experience been?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to say it but, dealerships have gone south lately. Phone calls are easy to dismiss and emails are easily looked over. I have found the only way to get information or anything done is by going in there and handling the situation. Personally I think the "ignore" button should be removed out of all dealerships phones.

I don't think its just new vehicles, it's used ones as well. It all depends on how desperate the dealership is (which most are at this time because there are so many discounts and rebates)

We visited several dealerships in our area and decided to go with a small locally owned one about 20 miles away. Their price was fair and they "locked in" the rebate. (The $1000 is guaranteed. If we get the car after April 4 and the rebate goes up we get the higher amount). The salesman also told us about the $750 from Ford in the brochure.

We ordered February 23 and our dealer told us to expect a 10-12 week wait. He said with luck it could be less but he wanted be realistic. (The week before a large dealer told us 4-6 weeks). We had no paperwork because we put nothing down for the order. After a couple of weeks I called and they sent me a copy of the DORA. Last week I checked back and they had no news. I sent a PM to Seni and she said the car was built and had an ETA of 3/28. I called the dealer and gave THEM the information. They were pleased to find out it was built and said it usually takes 2 weeks from build to arrive in our area (Southern Illinois). They said they'd call if and when they received additional information. I told them I would do the same.

I have a PM to Seni to see if I can learn any more about the car's status.

My dealer experience has been pretty similar. I'm approaching 3 months since I ordered and if I hadn't emailed them, I don't think they would have contacted me with vin, eta, or any updates.

Of course, the ETA's I was given have all long passed and Ford has been totally unhelpful with reliable information so I guess that expecting them to be forthcoming with info would be useless since all the info I got was false anyway.

I don't think Ford wants to fess up to what's wrong with these vehicles... probably because they have tied much of their future success to the Explorer and MFT. Significant bad news could affect the stock price.

Regardless... I'm just about done. If my vehicle doesn't go into transit in the next few days, I'm going to buy another brand this weekend.

Maybe my dealer could have communicated more, but there really was nothing to communicate. Every time there was, they initiated it.

I'm very happy with them. My family has probably purchased 20 new cars and a few used ones from them over the years. They do a good job at keeping us happy before and after the same.

That is great to here. I don't buy many vehicles so I don't give the dealer many chances for them to be "good" or "bad".

I am also aware that people don't like to call other people with bad or no news.......but it is nice to hear from someone every once in a while. Even if it is to tell you that they don't know anything!

I don't think my dealership would have ever contacted me until the truck arrived. I have initiated all contact & it takes several calls to them for them to finally respond to me.
Nice folks & when they finally talk to me they have some info(of course it's info I already have & I am just confirming with them)..but they certainly don't go that extra mile.
I have not heard from them since early March when they called to say here's your vin-we think your truck was built(huh?) and we think it will be here 3/28(again huh?).
Turns out the truck just received the vin and build date is today(3/29)..no ETA.
I found out the latter info from Cory & Jamie over at Ford.

My dealer hasn't contacted me once. I ordered on 2/6 and have been tracking it through Seni and through another employee on a different website. They lied to me about the inflatable belts stating it was canceled for 2011 (my guess is so I wouldn't wait till they were available).

I emailed my salesman once and never got a response back. It's been almost 2 months and not one call from him. I'd think they'd at least place a couple calls during the process to let me know updates on the build date, it being built and/or shipping status but nothing.

Will add my experience with the dealership. Ordered/money down on 9/3/2010 and didn't get one phone call in 5.5 months (drove off the lot second week of Feb). I called the dealership on the day it was supposed to be delivered seeing how I got more info from Ford customer service (thanks Cory!) than the dealership and it arrived earlier that day, yet still no phone call. In all that time, I "bothered" them three times, 2 phone calls and 1 email. My first phone call was the only one returned and at the time it was "no word on it yet" back in December.

Had I not gotten it under invoice I would have gone elsewhere.

I must have one of the only good dealerships around. Our local dealership has been great to deal with. I'd recommend them in a second. If you're close to Central PA (or want a road trip), I'd HIGHLY recommend Lake Ford in Lewistown, PA. I've bought 4 vehicles off of them since 2004, and have been treated very well every time.

My dealer has been good. They send me updates through email about twice a week. We haven't had to have much interaction. Between the information I get on the boards like the window sticker and the email updates I get from the vendor, I consider myself as informed about my vehicle as I possibly expect I should be.

For me, I live near 5 different Ford dealerships within a 4 - 15 mile radius so I just go to each one and leave when one doesn't treat me right.

We ordered through All American Ford in Paramus NJ. A few months earlier I just purchased my Ford Edge Sport. I was actually bringing it in for a recall, and for service on my MFTouch which wasn't working, when I spotted the new Explorer. We had been ready to pull the trigger on a Toyota Highlander that week when I told my wife she should at least look at the Ex. I got so much help from the dealership I couldn't have been happier. so we ordered one.
Then I never heard from them again. Phone calls would go un-returned, many many phone calls. I'd stop in and the dealership manager would look at me like i was crazy for driving in to get an update (Yes, the typical We said we'd call you when it came in)
To think that this dealer got $80K in sales from us in a recession year and we're not treated better than this really bums me out.

North County Ford in Vista California has been excellent so far. Meeting expectations across the board. I understand manufacturing delays aren't the dealerships fault. But so far my order is on schedule.

I just hope the sales guy is also the finance person. He's been great.

I am the one that started this thread and there is some comfort in knowing that I am not alone in my dealer experience.

I do want to clarify something however. I completely understand that the dealers hands are tied in dealing with Ford Production. The delays are out of their control. And even knowing what is causing the delays they can't have a handle on.

I was just concerned with the lack of communication as a whole - even if they told me they don't know who, what, why or where - just be proactive and tell me that.

After all of this and 12+ weeks since original order I pick mine up tonight. I am sure the dealer and my wife will be happy about that!!!

I bought from the same salesman that's sold me my last three cars. I used to work at that dealer when I first got in the business. He took my deposit and told me to expect it in about 8-10 weeks. And not to call or bother him during that time. In 8-weeks and 4-days he called and said it was in. I picked it up that evening and have been amazed every time I'm in it.

I believe that our impatiance today is brought on by the technical age we live in.The process of ordering and the time to build has not changed much in the past couple of decades.In the past we waited six to eight weeks for the dealers call,now on account of the internet we expect a faster delivery,it just won't happen.
My small town dealer was great during the whole process.they kept me informed on any new information that they received,even though I was able to access most of on line and through forums like this one.
It just appears to be a sign of the times,we expect the delivery at the 4G rate we communicate.It ain't gonna happen!!!

Point well taken. I guess we all just need to slow down a little - what is the saying "good things come to those who wait"!!!!!!!

I believe that our impatiance today is brought on by the technical age we live in.The process of ordering and the time to build has not changed much in the past couple of decades.In the past we waited six to eight weeks for the dealers call,now on account of the internet we expect a faster delivery,it just won't happen.
My small town dealer was great during the whole process.they kept me informed on any new information that they received,even though I was able to access most of on line and through forums like this one.
It just appears to be a sign of the times,we expect the delivery at the 4G rate we communicate.It ain't gonna happen!!!
Your points are quite valid. However, I think a lot of people are upset that they cannot get a straight story on their already built vehicles. Going from awaiting shipment to factory hold to awaiting shipment without any real explanation what is going on is simply frustrating to folks in an age where you can track your FedEx package by watching a real time satellite feed of the delivery truck. OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration :D, but I think you get my point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back