• Register Today It's free!

How long before you give up???

segel10

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
At this point I am still hanging in. Ordered Nov 23, Built Feb 24 (3 months), First promised delivery week 28 Feb, Second promised delivery week (27 Mar), STILL NO EXPLORER!! I know I live 5 hours from the factory (A LONG WAY). Customer service cannot tell be why it was held up the first time and elevated the issue up the chain. That is when I received the 27 Mar date (and they tried to tell me it was the date established when I ordered it in Nov). They still cannot tell be why it has not shipped or how those ordered in Jan and Feb and those built in Mar are shipping and ours is setting. I think Ford needs to seriously work on its customer service (first in and first out, within reason). They also need to work on their delivery system (not sure they have one). I am still hopeful though, but wonder when enough will become enough. To say the least, being excited at the prospect of getting the new explorer is LONG GONE.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have written the president of Ford motor company by now, explaining the situation.
Your dealer should be racking up some phone bills looking for your Explorer. Someone should be taking some heat for the poor service. If Ford has a reason for taking this long to build, they should be telling you why.
I think I would be looking elsewhere myself, after this amount of time. I hope it shows up tomarrow though!

I would have been long gone at this point. I am giving them 12 weeks. i was told it would take 6-8. At the 12 week point i will get my deposit back and start looking for plan B.

At this point I am still hanging in. Ordered Nov 23, Built Feb 24 (3 months), First promised delivery week 28 Feb, Second promised delivery week (27 Mar), STILL NO EXPLORER!! I know I live 5 hours from the factory (A LONG WAY). Customer service cannot tell be why it was held up the first time and elevated the issue up the chain. That is when I received the 27 Mar date (and they tried to tell me it was the date established when I ordered it in Nov). They still cannot tell be why it has not shipped or how those ordered in Jan and Feb and those built in Mar are shipping and ours is setting. I think Ford needs to seriously work on its customer service (first in and first out, within reason). They also need to work on their delivery system (not sure they have one). I am still hopeful though, but wonder when enough will become enough. To say the least, being excited at the prospect of getting the new explorer is LONG GONE.

I can't blame you. Mine was built in mid Feruary and no one can give me a delivery date either at the dealer or Ford's customer service. They've assigned it a "case number", lot of good that's done. It just makes the customer feel like somethings being done. The passion and excitement do seem to fade as each day passes. There is absolutely no excuse for your wait especially when others are being delivered ahead of you. What bonehead at Ford is steering the ship when it comes to deliveries??? I've thought of looking elsewhere but just don't want to start the entire process over again. Even thought about trying to buy one off the lot but if I'm spending 40K of my hard earned money, I want the car that I want with the options I want in it.

Same story here (built 3/3), to make matters worse mine is a fleet order and cannot be cancelled. My first Ford and my LAST Ford, and I don't even have it yet. The worst customer experience I've ever encountered.

I ordered in January and I will give up on that order in May... then I'll order a 2012 and see if they can get that one to me by September... and then maybe my first order will be here and I can choose :)

I've semi-given up, even though I haven't waited quite as long as you have. Mine was built 3/16, ETA of 3/26 and still no vehicle. I wouldn't mind so much if I had something to ride but I'm without a vehicle and renting gets expensive and taking the bus where I live isn't a great option, although I do it some.

If someone at Ford could just tell me a realistic estimate of when the vehicle would ship I would be fine, but the only answer I can get is an ETA of 3/26. The dealer told me last week that they can't get any information from Ford and that I should probably start looking elsewhere if I really need a vehicle because they can't promise it will be here anytime soon.

It really sucks because I love the Explorer and want to wait for it, but I don't want to be sitting here in late May still waiting (like those of you who have been waiting since February). The non-existent communication from Ford is really what's driving me to give up and just get something else. If someone could tell me that it's going to be 10 days, or 6 weeks, or whatever, that would go a long way, at least then I could plan and know what to expect. Instead all I get is an ETA of 3/26 and a "we're very sorry but that's all we know". I went and looked at some other vehicles this weekend, but nothing really grabbed me like the Explorer did so I'm going to hold out a few more days.

This is really a big fail by Ford, after owning/driving Fords in the mid and late 80's I swore I'd never own one again. They have (soon to be had) a chance to get a customer back, but they are quickly losing it. I've politely explained this to the Customer Service people, but they aren't empowered enough to make anything happen and can't seem to point me to someone who can.

I'm sure if the car arrived tomorrow I'd love it and this would all soon be a distant memory, the reality is I'll call or message Seni and get the same information I've gotten the last 3 weeks. Huge disappointment overall.

I give up on 5/14 which will be eight weeks from order date, UNLESS the dealer can give me ETA which for me stands for "Exact Time of Arrival" :D

Otherwise I will be open to finding another make of vehicle or another 2011 Explorer somewhere.

I am still unscheduled/clean as of 4/8 but the dealer told me their Ford rep stated my vehicle will be built first week of May, how they know??

They asked for 6-8 weeks and I am going to give them that.

I was wondering the same thing...how long do we wait...and then what??? Fortunately, I have a car that we're going to trade so I can wait. My issue is the lack of information. It's great that Seni and the guy with my case # at Ford are proactive and helpful but the two of them have been giving me the same information for weeks now. Everyone at the 1-800 # and at the dealer say the same thing, "ETA of 3/30 and that's all we know." Well, who the heck knows more, someone has to, right? I'm just very confused about how this shipping (lack of) system is working!!!! I don't care if they had to rebuild my car by hand because it exploded into a million pieces, I just want to have SOME idea when it might be here!!!!!! Just a date, it shouldn't be that difficult!!! If my car is sitting there, awaiting shipment, then get it on the truck and leave the one you built yesterday to wait like the rest of us!!!! ACK!!!!

Update from orginal poster:

Ordered Nov 23, Built Feb 24 (3 months), and it has showed up at the dealer today (Apr 11). So tomorrow we will find out if it was worth the wait. But for now at least the wait is over.

Can anyone confirm that ordering your explorer with rear inflatable seatbelts will delay the process even more? I ordered on feb 22 and still has yet to be built.

I ordered mine in February and have no build date. No delivery date. Nada. I stop by the dealership every couple of weeks. Nothing. Largest volume dealership in America, by the way.... NO EXPLORERS.

I'm giving up shortly.

This is just silly.

I really wanted that car, but I don't think it's fair for a dealer to hang on to $1000 for this long with ZERO information. Just shoulder shrugging. I know it's not their fault, but the big sign on the dealership does say FORD.

If they can't even tell me when I MIGHT get a car, then they're obviously not trying hard enough to earn my money.

I ordered mine in February and have no build date. No delivery date. Nada. I stop by the dealership every couple of weeks. Nothing. Largest volume dealership in America, by the way.... NO EXPLORERS.

I'm giving up shortly.

This is just silly.

I really wanted that car, but I don't think it's fair for a dealer to hang on to $1000 for this long with ZERO information. Just shoulder shrugging. I know it's not their fault, but the big sign on the dealership does say FORD.

If they can't even tell me when I MIGHT get a car, then they're obviously not trying hard enough to earn my money.

Have you thought about calling out of state? If you could negotiate over the phone, a one way airline ticket and ride to the dealer might only be $250.00. Might be a pretty cool adventure and your return trip could be in a new Explorer.

There are a decent amount of Explorers on our lots here in Michigan but not exactly what "I" wanted. If I was willing to take a second row bench, I could have got everything else I wanted pretty easily.

If your flexible on color or options it would be even easier but depending on what you ordered, it might be sitting out there somewhere.

Michigan is pretty far but maybe somewhere closer like Texas? I think they refer to Texas as Ford Country?

Just a suggestion.

Can anyone confirm that ordering your explorer with rear inflatable seatbelts will delay the process even more? I ordered on feb 22 and still has yet to be built.

I ordered 2/6, built 3/17 with the belts.

Thank you for that information blwnsmoke. Its kinda funny. I ship cotton from Houston to Turkey in less time that it takes Ford to ship from Chicago to Texas? Is that funny to anyone else? For some reason I'm starting to believe that Ford didn't think this one through. If you make a great vehicle people will buy it. They should have known it was going to be this popular.

Back