How many 02 Sensors in 2000 XLS?

Fantasymon

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hi,

This is my first post on here is about 2 years...I searched extensively and found mixed answers everywhere.

I went to Autozone and they pulled my check engine light code. He didn't give me my code but just told me that my 02 sensors were bad. I bought the following 02 sensors:

Bosch 15718
Bosch 13117

I've read that some explorers have 4 sensors. Can anyone PLEASE tell me how many sensors my 2000 XLS will have?

I realize after searching that it could be something besided my 02 sensors. Well I already bought them and would like to go ahead and intall.

Can anbody give me any help/link to installing these? The only threads I found referred to removing the center console which my XLS doesn't have (other than the armrest).

Thanks,

Grantp

If you have a 4.0L SOHC, you will have four.

Can't speak for the other two engines...

Now, that being said, there's no way the AutoZone Clown can tell from the DTC that the sensor itself is bad. The sensors can also be generating an error code because the information they're detecting is, in fact, out of the normal range. That could be caused by a plethora of other issues, the least of which is a leaky vacuum hose, and the worst of which could be bad catalytic converters. The trouble code only tells it which sensor is detecting the fault and what fault that's detecting. The code itself is not necessarily indicative of the sensor being bad.

Now, that being said, exactly what code did they find when they scanned it?

-Joe

I have a 4.0 OHV. I finally figured out where the 02 sensors are and there are 2 on my Explorer.

I just changed one of the sensors, and the other one I could not remove. I'm not an experienced mechanic and can't figure out how to get to it with the small spacing.

So my new question is this...I unhooked the battery for a couple minutes after I replaced the one 02 sensor, and then hooked it back up. The check engine light is no longer on. I drove a couple miles and it still did not come back on. So does this most likely mean that I got lucky and replaced the right one, or does it usually take a while for the check engine light to come back on?

Thanks,

Grant

it can take a while....sometimes even a few days depending on driving habits.

Now I am not trying to be negative here, but it might not have been the O2 sensors that were bad. Something else usually cause them to come on, so changing them might not help...

keep us updated...

Back