How many have had APIM replaced? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many have had APIM replaced?

Have you had your APIM replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 63 63.0%

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone get APIM replaced outside of the warranty. My son puchased certified used from Ford dealer. No notification of APIM issues. He is 5 months out of warranty. First and last Ford vehicle.

Anyone get APIM replaced outside of the warranty. My son puchased certified used from Ford dealer. No notification of APIM issues. He is 5 months out of warranty. First and last Ford vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
What year Explorer is it and when you say out of warranty is that the factory warranty or 'Certified' warranty. The APIM had the warranty extended to 5 years on some Explorers. Also when you say "No notification of APIM issues" does that mean the dealer didn't tell you about it or that it suddenly failed? What is the symptom?

Peter

Build Date: 04.03.2011

It looks like I need my 3rd APIM as the past couple of weeks my nav system is throwing and error and all USB devices lose connection.

I'm curious if the warranty extension covers previously replaced APIMs for any length of time.

(Ref: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM503485/SB-10052069-8195.pdf )
I don't know for sure if it applies to replacement APIM units since I would hope that they would have been the 'better and improved' ones. Are these the same issues that you experienced before? I haven't heard of a bad APIM causing USB connection losses.

Peter

Are these the same issues that you experienced before? I haven't heard of a bad APIM causing USB connection losses.

Peter

Well, that's a fair question and an assumption on my part based on the past. Previously the symptoms may have been a little different. My first APIM was replaced in 4/2013 and my second probably around 2015, so at least it's consistent. :-|

Well, that's a fair question and an assumption on my part based on the past. Previously the symptoms may have been a little different. My first APIM was replaced in 4/2013 and my second probably around 2015, so at least it's consistent. :-|

What version of the software do you have?

What version of the software do you have?

I'll have to double check, but SyncMyRide.com is showing I "..have the latest.." and my last verified install was 12/2015, version
EA5T-14D544-AD.

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace an APIM

The costs to replace ???

Sport 09/2013 / about 31k miles...

"My Ford": DA5T-14D544-BD (updated 2013 / last version 3.6...)

After 2 master resets: thougt it was it, but 2 weeks later it means today I parked the car in the direct sun and after new start it comes back with sd nav failure...after I visited the gas station (the owner is my friend because of my mpg !) all was normal... Need I a new APIM ??? Comes a new APIM with all necessary software installed ? Have no Ford dealer with "US-knowledge" nearby...

Next thing: have to change the battery next week / try to waiting 10 min. to connect the new battery...

I'm starting to see other things not working correctly like the automatic seat adjustment when starting. As Peter alluded to, this may not be the APIM but a sign of something more. :(

I'm starting to see other things not working correctly like the automatic seat adjustment when starting. As Peter alluded to, this may not be the APIM but a sign of something more. :(
You mean the easy entry/exit feature? I remember that such an issue required seat module reprogramming to get it work correctly.

The past week I've seen the following - easy entry/exit (seat adjustment) not working, A/C randomly going high to low to off to normal, USB losing connection (no charging, no media), navigation error (SD not detected).

The truck has 80K+ island miles, so I can't complain too much. I've owned it since 2011 with minimal problems. I have an appointment with service next week so we'll see what they can find out.

Months later...

My battery was close to dead. Had it replaced - no more seat adjustment issues.

Had the USB connection module replaced; didn't fix the problem. Switched back to an official Apple cable and all errors related to navigation and USB connections went away. I don't know if Apple made some adjustments that rendered previously MFI cables obsolete or what happened, but APIM is fine apparently.

Months later...

My battery was close to dead. Had it replaced - no more seat adjustment issues.

Had the USB connection module replaced; didn't fix the problem. Switched back to an official Apple cable and all errors related to navigation and USB connections went away. I don't know if Apple made some adjustments that rendered previously MFI cables obsolete or what happened, but APIM is fine apparently.
Was it done at the dealership? Do you know if a Battery Management System (BMS) reset was done?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...upgrade-battery-re-learn.445823/#post-3538418

A weak battery can cause may different issues. On my previous vehicles the 3rd row power seats wouldn't always work properly unless the engine was running. This is because I don't drive enough to keep the battery fully charged all the time.

Peter

Was it done at the dealership? Do you know if a Battery Management System (BMS) reset was done?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...upgrade-battery-re-learn.445823/#post-3538418

A weak battery can cause may different issues. On my previous vehicles the 3rd row power seats wouldn't always work properly unless the engine was running. This is because I don't drive enough to keep the battery fully charged all the time.

Peter

I had the USB connection module replaced at the dealership. The battery was replaced elsewhere. I don't know if they performed a BMS reset, sorry.

I'm new to this forum. I have a 2012 Explorer with only a little over 33,000 miles. I am in the same boat. Was experiencing some problems with My Touch, but the tech'support would tell me that I just needed an upgrade. Finally this week it happened and the APIM module is fried. Been back and forth with Ford and since I'm past the warranty they won't cover the repair. I had no idea that there was a problem. This is a very expensive repair. Over $1,000.00 to fix.

I'm new to this forum. I have a 2012 Explorer with only a little over 33,000 miles. I am in the same boat. Was experiencing some problems with My Touch, but the tech'support would tell me that I just needed an upgrade. Finally this week it happened and the APIM module is fried. Been back and forth with Ford and since I'm past the warranty they won't cover the repair. I had no idea that there was a problem. This is a very expensive repair. Over $1,000.00 to fix.

Given that this is a known issue with a warranty extension period of 5 years you are just over. If you contact the Ford Regional Rep in your area there is a good chance they will provide some good faith here. Not a guarantee but worth a few phone calls before spending out of pocket cash.

Some dealers help the customer do this, but some are unethical and go straight to the customer cash payment.

One thing learned from past experience if you got tech support over the phone from Ford its not always good. While your APIM might be dead I would also try the 20-minute battery disconnect just to be sure.

Given that this is a known issue with a warranty extension period of 5 years you are just over. If you contact the Ford Regional Rep in your area there is a good chance they will provide some good faith here. Not a guarantee but worth a few phone calls before spending out of pocket cash.

Some dealers help the customer do this, but some are unethical and go straight to the customer cash payment.

One thing learned from past experience if you got tech support over the phone from Ford its not always good. While your APIM might be dead I would also try the 20-minute battery disconnect just to be sure.

The module is fried and the battery was completely drained. We live in small community and know the owner of the dealership. My Explorer is in the service department as I write this. I have the paperwork from when this started in 2015 and I have all this information ready to send to him being the vehicle was purchased there. Thanks for the informatio.

The module is fried and the battery was completely drained. We live in small community and know the owner of the dealership. My Explorer is in the service department as I write this. I have the paperwork from when this started in 2015 and I have all this information ready to send to him being the vehicle was purchased there. Thanks for the informatio.
Welcome to the Forum Marianne.:wave:
Hopefully all will go well.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread is pretty old, so I'm guessing there are a lot more people out there who've had issues since.
1. 2017 Limited
2. 112k (but APIM started going just under 100k)
3. No but it needs it - touchscreen controls are infuriating most days
4. Just under 100k
5. Slow for me - first sign was super intermittent 'reboot' of system, happened maybe 3x in the first 100k miles. Just under 100k, got in at the grocery and the touchscreen didn't boot up. Drove to the dealer to have them check it and they said I'd need to bring it back in. Of course when I got in to leave it started up like normal. Dealer service guy said that "happens sometimes" so I didn't take it in...my mistake. Now at 112k the screen comes on but the controls take 2-3 minutes to respond about 90% of the time. When you first get in it usually works well - I think it's a heat issue and when it gets hot it starts flaking.
6. What smartphone/carrier do you use? iPhone on AT&T
7. Did APIM fix your problem? Unknown
8. How many times have you had the APIM replaced? No, haven't gotten desperate enough to spend $1000 for replacement.

My question - has anyone successfully lobbied Ford to replace AFTER warranty expired? This is not a moving part so should last a lot longer than I'm seeing here. Granted it's probably not a high percentage of people who have this problem but computer failure shouldn't be frequent enough that this pops up on forums and whole sub-industries dedicated to repair/replacement. I'm not quite paid off yet and I've had this issue for the last year - damn thing should at least outlive the payments!

Back