How many have had APIM replaced? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many have had APIM replaced?

Have you had your APIM replaced?

• Yes

Votes: 37 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 63 63.0%

• Total voters
I'm not aware of anyone getting Ford to replace the APIM after the warranty period expired. Usually, the failure of electronic components is unpredictable but inevitable. Several members have been successful in picking up a used APIM and getting it programmed to their vehicle.
I don't believe that the infrequent 'reboot' of the system is an indication of a failing APIM. I like many others experienced that as well with no other issues. In my case, it happened more frequently than you indicated. I can't recall if the APIM would be covered by Ford's ESP but with all the electronic features on these vehicles and the various issues they have been experiencing, it is a good investment in my opinion.

Peter

Two days into ownership my APIM died. Now in shop. Seems like the failure rate on these modules is very high. Would love to know how pervasive these failures are.

Please fill in your details:

1. Your model and build date?
2. How many miles have you driven?
3. Have you had your APIM replaced?
4. How many miles were on your vehicle when the APIM failed?
5. Was the failure sudden or were there signs of a problem before failure?
6. What smartphone/carrier do you use?
7. Did APIM fix your problem?
8. How many times have you had the APIM replaced?

Here's mine:

1. 2012 Limited. Built November 2011.
2. 80
3. In shop now.
4. 80
5. Sudden death without warning.
6. iPhone 4/Verizon
7. Don't know yet
8. This will be my first.

1) 2017 Expedition EL Xl not sure build date

2) bought recertified at 54K and we've driven 36K

3) in shop currently

4) probably 86K partial failure

5)within 2 weeks of resetting PATS due to front door not opening except by lever/handle

6) pairing lost then USB power lost in console, then menu lost after reset to factory no access to many menu items after that.

7) looking into replacing by self from ebay parts (confused how interchangable units are

8) First but except many more if we keep the f&*$ truck

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you posted this in the Expedition Forum to see if others there have had the same issues? 3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017

Peter

APIM is a Problem- "Very Low" Occurence?? Doubtful

Really? Mine goes in this Friday to have it replaced. It's been enough of a problem that Ford sent letters to owners saying they extended their warranty for having this replaced....if it was "very low" I don't see that Ford would have gone to that extent.

My letter called it "Customer Satisfaction Program 12M02 and it extends the limited warranty to a total of five years without regard to mileage. (Thanks Ford, but I would rather have it just work)

Symptoms for mine include: (from memo I gave dealer when they had the car an entire day and decided it had to come back for new APIM which they didn't have available; Explorer has 23,000 miles, has been in shop 5 times for MFT problems and upgrades....still less than 50% chance of even entering a destination by voice- pretty sad):

1. Sync system has rebooted (saying “Performing Scheduled Maintenance”) 10-15 times in last week alone
a. It’s always done this once or twice a month but 10 times in a few days is a lot…especially if you are driving in say the Bronx and looking for your next exit and suddenly you have nothing to guide you until you get your phone going

2. Sometimes when I have just entered a destination in navigation I then “Set as Destination” and move the car into Reverse to leave my driveway and instead of getting the backup camera, I get a black screen…the screen then stays black all the way to a few exits into the Merritt (5 miles?) and then reboots saying “Performing Scheduled Maintenance”

3. Navigation system will regularly stop following me…e.g. Tuesday night returned on train to Stamford garage, put my home destination in and set out…map showed go under 95 and turn right on Tresser Blvd….but map stopped progressing…I was a mile up Tresser and it still showed me stopped under I-95 and Amtrak!
a. In this case it did not reboot- when I was on Hope Street ( 3miles up) it just ‘started working’ again

4. Most times that I choose to say “Weather Map” the system now says “Acquiring Weather” and just spins its cursors…the map never shows up…this is for example while on I-287 with no trees or underpasses within miles- totally open sky
a. Yes, since you told me last time that was a Sirius problem and not a Ford problem (I reject that idea by the way since I bought a Ford not a Sirius car), I did call Sirius and they re-sent the codes to the radio and confirmed all was set up correctly- per Sirius no Sirius problem…that was couple of months ago
b. I do get Sirius satellite radio no problem indicating:
i. A) I have a valid subscription that is set up correctly
ii. B) I have a clear shot at the sky

5. With iPod plugged in (which it is now), one should be able to choose “Repeat” or “Shuffle” to make it shuffle through your music or the artist you are listening to….It is set on “Shuffle” and “Repeat” and the system will not let you turn those off to listen to rest of music
a. Press “Shuffle” and it gives you three choices…choose “Off” and ‘OK’ or whatever and it is still on “Shuffle” permanently

Back