How many people own or have owned an Aerostar? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

New member here...

I have had my '92 for about 5 years now. I got it when it had 290,000kms. I bought it off a co-worker who had it from 100K onwards and she took extremely good care of it. She bought it from the original owner who custom-ordered it to be as light as possible so it could tow a horse trailer. It has, so I was told, the 3 tone colour scheme of an XLT, but it's an XL (base) and the only options it had were A/C (which doesn't work!) and the Ford stereo with the headphone jacks in back (which the last owner replaced with a Panasonic cassette stereo, but the headphone jacks still work. The guy sold it to her in '97 and had just taken possession of a new Aerostar, with the exact same colour scheme.

I've had the transmission rebuilt (300K on original ain't bad), a trans cooler put in, added the widest tires that'll fit the rims and the 6x9s are now Visoniks...other than that, it's original.

How it looked when I bought it:
aerostar.jpg

What it does best (tow my 9' tent trailer)
trailerandcar.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That don't look bad for a 92.

I currently own the king of the Aerostars- a 97 dual air 4.0 with the plastic intake. It screams. I've surprised a couple of ricers before, and made my wife laugh on a 0-55 run on 72 in Corinth MS. I'm no road racer, but it is funny when you are at a stop sign at pole position with an early 90's Accord sporting a fat muffler, and a Mitsu De Coupe with no muffler who have been playing F-1 with each other behind you through the town.

I also own a 92 (08/91 build date) with a 91 flat tappet cam for a work van that recently crapped the head gasket and ripped off at least one ring. I'm working on rebuilding a roller cam 3L for that one, or finding a 4L wrecked Aerostar so I can convert. It all depends on how long I can wait.

I used to own a really freaky 94 3L 5 spd passenger van that was my first Aerostar experience. I bought it for $100 from a guy who was going off to jail for brandishing a sawed off shotgun. At the time he thought the engine was shot, but I found out it was only a head gasket and the #3 cyl spark plug was completely destroyed- no cathode at all!! All the other spark plugs were different, so it appears that a lazy mechanic couldn't figure out what tools would work to get that one out. I personally had to end up using the 7/8 faceted end of a 5/8 spark plug socket with a wrench to loosen it. I ended up getting rid of that van because the roof leaked, and I had enough money for the first time in my life to buy a new car- my 05 Focus wagon. I do regret that I got rid of it, but after 3 years of continuous repairs and a roof leak I couldn't seem to fix- I was ready for a change.

newb...my Aerostars

H'lo!
I've had 2. The first was one we got that had been a 'demonstator' or loaner car; had 127 miles on it when we took possesion. It was an '87, 3.0/5 spd, with towing package. THAT was a killer package, too! It included 4.11 limited slip, heavy duty cooling and charging, and the electrical adaption to put on a reciever hitch, which I never did use. We put about 85,000 miles on it before it got 'helped' by my son as he was learning about cars. Never did recover from the affliction. It finally died about 95K and was parted out. By that time, we had out-grown it. The worst problem we had was a sliding door latch that needed replacement early on, about 1989-ish. The shifter had a couple glitches, and we put a new one on, but that only helped for a few months. Part of THAT might have been the funky Mazda 5 speed...just too light duty, marginal for a 145 horse 3.0 v-6.
I agree with the statement that they handle well...the short body '87 had some great habits, and I loved driving it. Cornered about 9/10ths all the time, and when I drove other vehicles, I found I was overcooking the corners. One of the best mods I did was to put 15" Mopar wheels, with slightly wider tires on.
The second is one I got for the asking. A friend had a late '91 E4x4 that his wife put about 200K on going to school, and then HIS son attempted to kill it by treating as if it were a Bronco II. Took it off-road and pranged it pretty good in a fenceline along a lousy dirt road. The kid drove it another couple years, they put at least one tranny in, and then moved and brought it with them as 'mobile storage'. It sat in their yard here in Colstrip USA for at least 2 years and Glen decided to just take it out to the dump and abandon it. I told him if he was going to throw it away, to throw it my direction.
He gave me a strange 'you gotta be kidding me!' look and I said I'd really like to at least try to start it...if it ran, I'd take it off his hands. We put a fresh battery in it, cranked it a few seconds...like 10, maybe...and it lit on gas at least 2 years old. It smoked for a couple minutes, ran rough a couple more and then smoothed out. Next day we went to the bank and signed the title over. Since then, I've changed the oil a couple times, and it hasn't let me down yet, 2 years or more later. I did have to replace a headlight this last winter. And the 'custom' body work by the son is still there.

All in all, it's been a good rig. I can't figure why Ford put a lighter rear end AND more weight on the same suspension as the '87 had, though. That's why the long-bodies always sit tail heavy, and the shorties sit a little high. If the seats are out of the long-body, it sits almost level. The handling of the 4x4 is a little strange though. It's not nearly as confidence inspiring as the '87 was, so it doesnt get driven as spiritedly.

So, there it is...if I could find a decent short-body to put the 4.0 in, and had a 5 speed to go with it, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Mike

I had 1!!! she passed one night in her sleep *lol*, 325,000. I replaced her with my 1994 XLT 4x4. I drive 56 miles round trip to work and the ride in the Aero was sooo much smoother!! I loved that Van.

It was a 1989 3.0. the only thing I did not like was the floor shifter.

You always remember your 1st one!

:chug::chug:
How would you compare it to other Ford trucks, and vans?
Being married with children,I bought my first new car. A 1987 Aerostar XL
with manual transmission. I wish I still owned it. My kids really got a kick
out of changing MY radio stations to THEIRS from the middle seat.
Parental Control?...Not in those days!
Now I drive a Ranger and really appreciate the robust tranny.
We drove the Aerostar for 12 years and live by the ocean. Its resistance to rust
was remarkable, just like my Ranger is today.
Ric

1990 Ford Aerostar XLT

I picked up a 1990 Ford Aerostar for $750 back in February.
I really like the van. It has 123k miles, the interior is in like new condition and the exterior, minus the right side of the front bumber, is also in really great shape. It has good power and the 4.0 V6 motor.

I have had to replace the master cylinder, the brake pistons, had the routers turned, replaced the rubber grommets on the upper control arms.

And now the (inner?) tie rods are worn out and need to be replaced. I actually hope that this is the last of the repairs, and I would love to put 500k miles on this van just to say that the aerostar can take it.

I love my Aerostar and am taking it to college with me. It is a whale, yes, but it is a very nice and comfortable whale.

I would really like to put a brush guard on it and some KC-type lights.
Has anybody ever done something like this?

I just crushed an Aerostar, 94 I believe, AWD. Rotted to DEATH!
The interior had an aroma of cheese...
They flatten out just like rangers and explorers :roll:

i have a 92 and am looking to just turn it into a school project, trying to find a manual transmission to convert it and go from there. right now it's sitting in an underground parking with 2 flat tires and a dead battery

Hi all! New here. I've got an 86 Aerostar that I'm in teh process of customizing. Right now I'm just fixing the rust holes on the sides with some Bondo and blow-foam. It's gonna look sweet when I'm done though and will be one of a kind! I plan to paint it brown metallic on top and gold on the bottom, both with those real big metallic flakes. My buddy is great with an airbrush so he's going to paint some murals on the sides, back, and hood. I think I'm going to go with a wizard theme with like wizards and jumping horses and some roses and stuff. It should look pretty badass when it's done! It runs real good and barely leaks anything so I'm leaving the engine alone for now but I want to put a big nasty V8 in it next year so it's performance will match the awesome new looks! I'm also gonna lift the suspension up probably about 6" and put some lowrider-style spoke rims on it with some big offroad style tires. I like to be different and not just put regular old alloy rims like everyone else around me does on their custom vans. I gotta get some pics of it for a before an after but I gotta borrow my buddy's digital cam because I don't have one yet. :thumbsup:

It would make a nice build thread if you could make a step by step thread of each mod.

Will do! Right now I'm waiting for my mom to get her Taurus out of the garage so I'll have some room to work on it. I hope to buy a digital camera after xmas too.

3 and counting

I have three Aerostars. An 89 that is almost dead and a 93 AWD and a 97 AWD. Unfortunately the 97 had its drivers door banged up in a ferry line up and insurance won't fix it (too old to be worthwhile they say).

Why three - because they cart a lot of stuff and don't eat gas like a bigger truck.

I had an 87 for about three years, and it was truly a love/hate relationship. Bought it used with about 100k on it. I loved the handling, design and overall quality of it, but that combo of the poorly designed 3.0 heads and the crappy 4spd OD auto made me want to torch it in the desert. I think the heads cracked 3 times in 18 months, and the tranny failed one year after a Ford shop rebuild. I never towed anything, no teenage boy-racers drove it, no abuse of any kind. The Service manager told me that those old, first gen OD trannies were poorly designed, and had to be modified to return to original specs. It sat for 18 months while I debated replacing the 3.0 with a 4.0 and better tranny, but ended up junking it. My family of 5 was stranded 3 times in the desert with that thing. I swore in my wrath that I'd NEVER own another Ford-and here I am with a 94 Explorer. So far, it appears to be a much better vehicle, but I'm still suspicious...:rolleyes:

Owned a 90,short wheel base, 3.0, very useful to me... sold it and bought a 96 extended XLT AWD, I love it... All the room, plus the ability to occasionally use it to tow a 19ft bayliner on a tandem trailer, locally. Set up with dvd, drop down screen, mp3 player, for traveling with kids. has 189000 mil and still going strong until this year, cracked head(replaced) and back running, then this... trans trouble code P0715. Hate to get rid of it.

Hi Guys

I recently start posted in the forum . but also with the explo that give no more than satisfactions I ownen also a Aerostar 93 Eddie Bauer AWD that give no ore than troubles , especially here in Argentina , the van is gret I fist buy because I had my mother in a wheel chair and was the option for her , but the problems started when I bought it .just to mention , I had to rebuilt theengine , transmision , a/c , stering pump ( 3 times ) alternatior, etc . the van is still in the family because I can´t sell it .a relly pain in the a....

but I before that I relly like this van for the confort that has . but I don´t wnat any motre to put money on it

greetings from Argentina

MArcelo

Transmission problem is typical, as for the alternator and power steering pump and a/c those 3 are one of those things that the life of them is unpredictable because some last a lot longer than others but if you're having trouble with rebuilt power steering pumps then I would buy brand new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, I just thought I should let you guys know that I still have my 1990 EDDY 4 litre.She still runs awesome after two yrs with about 81,000 miles. I had a new exhaust plus new tires since I last posted. She still looks the same maybe better with the new tires. Sorry I haven't posted in a while.

Thanks, Whitelion
MyAerostar.jpg

MyAerostarT-type.jpg

Back