How much MPG do you get V8's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much MPG do you get V8's

We've been getting about 15.5 mpg. The wife drives it to work every day and her commute is just far enough for the engine and transmission to fully warm up and then she shuts her down.

If you are getting sub 15mpg mixed mileage, I would suggest looking at your O2 sensors, EGR system, AIR CLEANER, etc. I would suspect from my reading that any explorer with the 5.0 should be getting 15 on the low end unless you are a lead foot or live in the hills.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I kept my foot out of it and drove normal I do approx 30 hwy and 20 stop and go daily....
I got 19 mpg on my last tank....not to bad....

Can't complaiin

My 97 AWD Mounty has 124K on the clock. Mods are limited to K&N CAI, all synth fluids, Masterflow series 40 cat-back (with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe) and replacing the worn down Bridgestone all terrains with (OK... let the flames begin...) all season Avon Rangers. BTW, I LOVE these tires for wear, traction, ride and quietness.

Screwing around town, I average about 15 mpg. In mixed driving (80/20 hwy) going back and forth work (70 miles a day), I'm getting 18 mpg.

The best I got was my trip to Maine (from NJ) last summer where I averaged 22 mpg for the 960 mile round trip. (I used the cruise control a lot)

Editorial Comment: The brand of gas you buy makes a difference. As does the ethics of the dealer. Last year, NJ had a rash of gas stations being shutdown and heavily fined by the state for diluting gas (everything from cutting with water to selling short gallons - the pump would show 1.0 gallons but the flow tested out to 0.90 gallons).

In my own personal experience, I used to go the no-name independents to save $.20 a gallon, and I'd get about 280 miles from a full tank during my work commute. That's around 14 mpg. When I decided to go a few miles out of my way to buy gas at my son's Shell Station, I started getting 350-360 miles a tank for the same commute. That's around 18 mpg. The extra 70-80 miles per tank more than makes up for the $.20 price difference.

NJMike

Drive it slow and you'll get great mpg's

I've got a stock 2000 5.0 Limited AWD with 210,000 miles

These specs are on flat ground and little to no wind, and warm weather/ hot weather.

Interstate @ 75 mph = 18 mpg

Highway @ 65 mph = 20-22 mpg

Highway @ 53 mph = 24-26 mpg --- Speed I usually drive :D

City = 11-14 mpg

Towing 18 ft ranger bass boat @ 53 mph in the hills in tow mode= 16-17 mpg

Towing 20 ft enclosed V-nose trailer in tow mode @ 53 = 10-14 mpg
(9-10 mpg if windy)

Gota love the digital fuel econemy display:D, I've checked it to actual milage and fuel used and it is always right on.

I've been considering a cold air intake, what kind of gains could I expect to see for mpg with one?

I've been considering a Airmax spiral flow intake, any good?

Also does anyone make a Throttle Body spacer for the 2000 5.0 Explorer, and if so what kind of gains in mpg?

Ironically... a local mom/pop store is now advertising "ethenol free" gasoline.

Its a few pennies more compared to regional/national gas... but we'll see what the MPG is like...

Mine is a 1998 5.0 XLT ....175K on the ODO .... Mobile 1 and Lucas all the time...K/N filter (removed restrictive air box), cut out all 4 cats, installed 2 new ones, Flowmaster Exhaust....I have gotten 22 on the highway w/o Air running 65mph (no big hurry), hiway with A/C about 17-18 @ 70mph...City blows...probably 12 - 15....but like other posters, the power/torque from the 5.0 is quite addictive....but if you stay out of the go fast peddle, then you would get decent milage...just keep good plugs/wires in it, don't restrict the air flow and have a decent exhaust setup...
steve n oklahoma

I have heard the TB Spacer is not worth the money you pay for it....CAI is certainly worth it...Mac or Airmax....great plugs and wires help as well...

steve n Oklahoma

V8 mpg

I am averaging @ 16 mpg with 5.0 AWD. I can only get about 280 miles out of a tank of fuel. I used to get 20 on the highway and just over 300 miles out of a tank. I would love to know what happened so I could correct it. Runs good, no codes or engine light nothing. Just worse MPG.

I am averaging @ 16 mpg with 5.0 AWD. I can only get about 280 miles out of a tank of fuel. I used to get 20 on the highway and just over 300 miles out of a tank. I would love to know what happened so I could correct it. Runs good, no codes or engine light nothing. Just worse MPG.

I would check the normal stuff that can cause poor mpg ....Plugs, air cleaner....etc ....normal tune up stuff.....
steve n oklahoma

59,000 miles on the clock, MAC intake and exhaust, lowered 2"'s and E3 plugs, tire pressure at 33lbs I average 17.5 city and about 22 Highway.

mileage

2000 XLT V8 AWD 162000 miles- Unmodified (so far)

Highway: 20 to 21 mpg with 89 octane
City: 14 to 15 mpg

K&N filter installed
Synthetic motor oil
Tire pressure - 40 psi (tires max is 44)

I get 16-18mpg its always a mix of city and highway. Only mod is a K&N drop in filter.

i dont know exactly what my mpg is but after getting my intake, exhaust, and tune its pretty good especially considering ive got 240k miles and i dog the hell out of it foot to the floor just about everywhere i go ^_^ lol. if i had to guess id say about 19-20 mpg (mostly highway) of course i could be a bit off.

Mpg 4.6 v-8

Running a 2003 Limited, pure stock. Since day one I have been able to get 22mpg on the highway (steady cruise and few hills). Around town I get 15-17MPG. Vehicle has just shy of 100k miles.:exp:

i get 11.6 around town and about 15 on the highway....i have a few mods better plugs/wires K&N air filter with custom air box, dual cherry bomb exhaust and B&M stage 2 street strip shift kit all synthetic fluids Mobil 1 front and read diff's and transfer case, B&M trick shift tranny fluid......vavoline maxlife in the engine.....92k on her....i lay my foot in it most of the time.....

8.7 mpg today on fillup.

jesus man there is something really wrong there :S i couldnt afford that gas bill aspecially on 93 octane gas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea i know. i dont have any codes as well. i think imma try to change the coolant sender and see if that helps.

Back