How much MPG do you get V8's | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much MPG do you get V8's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats insane... I'm driving a 4.0 and I'm only getting BARELY 15.

14city, 21 highway at 100km/h all day.

On my return trip home from Cleveland on the day I bought my current '01 5.0 AWD, I averaged 19.4mpg. I thought the ride was "bouncier" than it had been on my previous Explorers, but I attributed it to the worn out 128k mile original shocks. The day after I arrived home, I went through the Explorer from end-to-end and top-to-bottom and discovered that 3 tires were at 25psi and the front driver's tire was at 20psi. I imagine I would have averaged around 21-22mpg had the tire pressure been adequate. Since I've been back on familiar ground, the best I've averaged has been 15.9 with mixed city/highway driving and 35psi. This includes some spirited driving.

Thats insane... I'm driving a 4.0 and I'm only getting BARELY 15.

right?

I used ot get 18/19 mostly highway

I dont know what changed besides my tire size...

ugh, I think we just have to settle for this mileage or trade in...cash for clunkers where are you?

Mpg

I have a 1997 5.0 XLT, 270K, original engine, trans, rear end. this summer puling a 8' loaded trailer and 4 people in the truck from LA to Sequoia at approx 65 mph I averaged 19 mpg. Man that suprised the heck out of me. The thing still runs great...Ive run Mobil syn oil in her from when she was band new, I change all fluids yearly..I hope i an get another 100k.

I have a 1997 5.0 XLT, 270K, original engine, trans, rear end. this summer puling a 8' loaded trailer and 4 people in the truck from LA to Sequoia at approx 65 mph I averaged 19 mpg. Man that suprised the heck out of me. The thing still runs great...Ive run Mobil syn oil in her from when she was band new, I change all fluids yearly..I hope i an get another 100k.

putting the mobil one syn oil in will garantee it!!

try th 0w-40 in the winter and the 5w-40 turbo diesel truck oil from mobil one in the summer. if you use this from day 1 you could drive 500,000km and if you ripped apart the motor, you wouldn't see any wear!

I don't understand I am estatic when I get 16 on a long trip, It gets worse when I drive like an old man. I've tried senthetic but it makes the lifters tick.I change the diff and tranny fluid every 40-50k,with 177k on the clock now. On winter blend I get around 12.

10mpg soild, wether its flat to the floor or bearly open

I just got a 97 5.0 AWD and I got about 15 on the first tank, mixed city and highway.

Take into consideration I haven't done a tune up yet, the computer was being reset daily with repairs and a small exhaust manifold leak yet to be fixed, and I think it will get better. The weather has also turned cold now.

i had autozone scan my truck today, just for fun, and the only thing wrong that the computor knows is that a fuel tank vent sensor value is high. i'm guessing its a switch that opens the vent for the tank to keep it from presurizing. if this is open all the time wont my gasoline evaporate out?

My 99 EB AWD gets 16 mixed and about 20 freeway (65 mph). This is a stock vehicle and I too drive like an old man... LOL. Very pleased with the vehicle and I dont mind the mileage.

I changed everything to synthitic (royal purple). If I don't pass too moch I can actually get 23 highway.

176K on the Limited (despite my sig...I guess I should update that ;) ) and I average 20-21 mpg, albeit I drive 70% hwy and 30% city. In an all city tank, I usually average 17-18 mpg; all hwy average is around 21-23. I have no idea how in the heck it does it, I don't even drive too slow either. I don't mind the mileage whatsoever, heck if it was 10-15 mpg I wouldn't mind knowing this thing will last forever. The reliability for me is the biggest selling point. :thumbsup:

i got a 97 mounty with 170,000 miles . i got a 2'' lift in the back and got 265-75-r16 bf goodrich all tarrien tires. origenal was 235-75-r15 . rest is stock. i get 65miles per 1/4 tank and 265 miles to a full tank so thats about 16mpg mostly citey and i am a littel lead footed and there are hills around were i live

u got less then a 20 gal tank?

lol 265 out of 21 gallons is far from 16mpg, more like 10-12

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok i looked in my pocket ref.third edition and i am getting 12.86 mpg. i did buy my mounty out of a junk yard for $300.00 last month. so new plugs and wires might help bring that up. owner be for me hit a rock and brock the grill both head lights and the bumper. but it had the front end rebilt, new shocks all the way around, new ball joints, new breaks, and just had the oil and tranny changed with senthetick. but it runs like a champ. what a shame to send it to a junk yard i had to save it

Back