• Register Today It's free!

How much MPG do you get V8's

fourmustangs

Reaction score
City, State
Kingwood,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 5.0
Would like a basis on the MPG anyone gets on these explorers with the 5.0 V8.

I cant remember what I used to get when I was in Groton,CT and had a 97 5.0 AWD Limited....

Now I have a 99 5.0 2wd XLT

please post before and after any mods...

looking on torque monster site I dont see how a 4x4 explorer got 18mpg before the headers unless he does all highway miles with that...

My first tank showed 14.8 mpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with you re: 18 mpg being highway miles. I get around 13.5-15 mpg in the city in summer and a little less in winter (winter gas blows). I average 19-21 on road trips depending on where I'm going. I live near the mountains and highway miles mean nothing when you're climbing over passes in the Rocky Mountains.

I just got confirmation from Bob that my TMH shipped a few days ago. Too bad they're being shipped to Kansas and I won't be there for about 6 weeks or so to get them installed. Worthy upgrade from what everyone else says. I don't get hung up on mpg anyhow. Face it, the 5.0 isn't the most fuel efficient engine, but I love 2nd gens and the 5.0 is the best engine available in a 2nd gen so I deal with it. I love the way my 5.0 Eddie Bauer drives now with basic mods (air intake, custom tuning, upgraded exhaust). Can only imagine how much better it will be with a UI spacer and the headers. :D

You're definitely going to get better mileage with 2WD that much is certain. How much more I can't say since I'm AWD and 2WD is as rare as the dodo up here in Canada.

I can't comment about pre-mods because I had my intake/exhaust and custom tuning done within weeks of scoring the Eddie.

I didnt see one either till I got down south....

did you order with a spacer and the egr tube to be longer?

I didnt see one either till I got down south....

did you order with a spacer and the egr tube to be longer?

Bob doesn't sell the spacer. I got mine from Summit. You just need to tell him if you're going that route and if you need the modified EGR tube to accommodate that mod.

Yes, I've got the modified tube coming with the headers. :thumbsup:

I get about 14 mpg all around. I have a few mods done. Custom intake and exhaust, tt, shackles and 31s. This is on my 96 eddie baurer awd. No clue what it got before this because I got this for a 2nd vehicle and modding started the day it hit my driveway :D

Mike

I get about 11mpg city driving and 14 highway, that's with 39.5" tires though.

I consistently get 16.5-17 mixed driving, 70% city. No Mods. All fluids Amsoil synthetic. 2000 mountaineer awd 5.0 130k on odometer.

Mines completely stock and has 215,000 miles. Average 16.5-17 with combined city/highway. On highway I get about 18-19. But I ONLY get this good if I remember not to press hard on the skinny pedal! I usually get about 320 miles to a tank but I have gotton to as low as 240! LOL that was when I first got it and the power this thing had was a addiction!

Using Mobil 87 Octane
Average 16.5-17 with combined city/highway. On highway I get about 18-19.
1999 Mountaineer 5.0L AWD

Rick

I'll need to keep my foot out of it and see what I get...
only had my foot in it couple times for the 14.8mpg on my 2wd

15 in town and 18-20 on the highway. If you are having consistently bad gas mileage make sure the EGR system in in good working order. Mine showed no other obvious signs except bad gas mileage but I had a bad DPFE and EGR valve. Replaced those and I'm up to 20mpg again on long trips.

I averaged between 14-16 on both of my 5.0 AWDs depending on whether or not it was winter blend gas. That's a mix of about 50/50 city/highway.

I just got my 00 v8 awd not long ago, it has 218000 miles on it and appears to really need spark plugs and wires but after putting a filter adapter on the MAF and a new cone filter I see 18MPG avg at 75-80 MPH on the highway, 20mpg avg on the smaller roads at 55mph, and 14-15 in town.

The key is to drive like an old man. I drive as if i am 90 half blind and i am missing a leg, so i cant use my brake pedal. lol

5.0 AWD 1-1/4" clear vinel tubing runs from the fillter box to in front of the radiator. It points in to the flow of air. Its like a $2.50 cold air in take.

highway at 65mph i get 21-23 mpg
city i get 17-18mpg

The key is to drive like an old man. I drive as if i am 90 half blind and i am missing a leg, so i cant use my brake pedal. lol

Hahahaha...so true. I don't have a V8, but driving 'normally' I average about 5-7 MPG less than when I choose to drive like a crippled old man.

About 15 mixed driving and 18-19 on the highway

Are you guys serious???? I have a 98 xlt awd 5.0(78k miles) I commute 8 miles to work one way and maybe on the weeknds it will pull an enclosed trailer. On a tank with no trailer I normally get about 12.5 - 13.0 mixed driving on a tank and I'm the slowest driver in the world. On highway cruise set at 65 and last to leave line at green lights. I just drove 249 highway miles to pickup a trailer. On the way out with no trailer all highway 65-70 i got 16mpg. I got 12 on the way back with the trailer. I don't mind since it's a v-8 but I'm just shocked at what you guys are getting for mileage. If i get 230 miles for a tank that's a good tank.

M

btw it's bone stock...i think it does have an exhaust leak if that would matter

My Second tank was 15.06mpg but That was alot of city driving and testing at the auto shop...
so the next tank will be my normal driving so I'll see what that does....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I get around 17mpg average- mostly driving to town for dinner and a few WOT runs for fun ;)

Back