How often do you get your oil changed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How often do you get your oil changed?

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
Do you do it every 3k or do you go longer like maybe 5K?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

because he is aldive the master of gas mileage and oil no one knows his secrets lol supposedly that X in his avatar gets 32 mpg highway OMG :) he's just great!!!!!!

as for mine 4 to 5 k because i got changed to synthetic...201,+++ miles 95'xlt

I believe aldive uses Amsoil... Doesn't require the same frequency of changes.

The book calls for 7,500 miles now under "normal service, meaning fully warmed up, freeway driving all the time. Most of mine is that so I compromise and go 4-5k.

c what I mean ^^ lol nice job aldive on your X

Im doing it every 3 k miles or 6 month whatever comes first. For me, that means 2 oil changes per year. Thats not muchmilage, but I consider it "severe" use because I only do a few miles each time I take out the truck, except for the occasional 20 mile late night trip with the old lady to get coffee.
BTW I only have 25k miles (40k km) and I got the transmission fluid changed at 20k miles
(30k km). Runs like a charm - I have no issues.
I am using the regular Ford recommended oil. I used Mobile I last winter but did not notice any difference (starting or fuel consumption) at twice the cost.

the difference is your engine will last way longer with that mobile than with recommended ford oil...

the difference is your engine will last way longer with that mobile than with recommended ford oil...

I doubt he'll ever have an oil related issue with that change interval.

I used Mobil1 for 20k mi got a little expensive. Now i'm using Ford SemiSyn 5-20w every 4000 miles, that way it gives me 1k mi to change it. Always before 5k. Dosn't the computer by default remind you at 5K?

i use pentosyn in the s4, and its every 8k

the explorer hasnt been changed in 3 or 4 years lol.. btu in all fairness its been sitting

I used Mobil1 for 20k mi got a little expensive. Now i'm using Ford SemiSyn 5-20w every 4000 miles, that way it gives me 1k mi to change it. Always before 5k. Dosn't the computer by default remind you at 5K?

Motorcraft (Conoco) oil is excellent. I wouldn't be afraid to run it even longer than you are.
I never really paid that close attention to it, but I'm almost certain the oil life monitor tends to lean toward the "normal" 7500 mile service interval. I do know that it's more than miles that will make the percentage drop...It also looks at engine temperature, load, vehicle speed, running time, etc.
I tend to change my oil at 5000-6000 miles in the summertime, but a little sooner in the winter months since there's more cold rich running time when it's warming up which can cause more fuel dillution than you'd have in the summer months.
I've never had the indicator alert me of an oil change even at my longest drain interval.

I generally use Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 synthetic blend oil in mine. www.schaefferoil.com
It's not a popular oil, but one of the best on the market, IMHO. If I need an oil change like right now and don't feel like driving to my buddy's speed shop to get Schaeffer's, then I'll get Pennzoil Platinum from Wal-Mart. It too is a very good oil, though I don't trust it with as long of a drain interval as I do with Schaeffer oil.

Lately, Mobil 1 has been looking a bit disappointing in the oil analysis I've seen. Cheaper oils are producing better used and virgin oil analysis.
There's also the rumor that M1 is no longer a "real" synthetic oil anymore either, but a Group III petroleum oil. Group III oils can be called synthetic because of the refining processes involved in producing it...Castrol's big dispute over what's a synthetic basestock and what's not got this to happen. Previously, an oil had to be a Group IV/Group V basestock which is a polyolalfa olefin or ester to be advertised as "synthetic".

In summary, if you are using a quality synthetic oil, don't waste your money dropping it at 3000 miles. You're not accomplishing anything except lightening your wallet by doing so. I also recommend regular used oil analysis from a lab such as www.blackstone-labs.com and using their results to help baseline your own personal oil change interval.
It isn't necessary to use a synthetic oil to achieve maximum engine protection either...It's not the base fluid but rather the additives in an oil that make a good one good and a bad one bad. Some petroleum oils (Texaco Havoline comes to mind) have shown better used oil analysis than a lot of the most costly full synthetics. You just can't run them for as long of a drain interval.

Everything you ever wanted to know about oil is available in the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com I learned more about oils there in an hour than I knew my whole life previously.

It burns/leaks 3 gallons of oil a year? My God man, fix the damn thing.

Did you know all oil has been reformulated. This is off the Mobil 1 site and from what I understand its with all brands. If anyone wants to know where to get an additive to replace the phosphorus just leave a reply and I will get the info.

Question:
Has Zinc Been Removed from Motor Oils?
I am having thrust bearing failure in a 4.6 modified performance engine. This is a street/strip engine. Many of my friends are having the same problem. I think it is the result of the removal of zinc from the oil. I was told by two separate racing engine builders that the EPA ordered the removal of the zinc from over-the-counter motor oil. I use Mobil 1 5W-20. Is this true and do you think a zinc additive might help?
-- Randy Lovejoy, Americas, GA

Answer:
The active ingredient that you are talking about is phosphorus which is added thru a component called ZDDP. For products that meet the new ILSAC GF-4 specification the phosphorus levels for the oil must be less than 800 ppm phosphorus. The ILSAC level for phosphorus has been reduced to protect the catalytic converter and other emission protection equipment. The engine manufacturers are confident that this level of phosphorus will protect both new and older engines. However, there are Mobil 1 products which have a higher level of phosphorus (phos) and can be used in engines in racing or high performance applications.

I change mine every 3,000 miles and use conventional Castrol GTX oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same Same I love Castrol. HUA99XLT I use to live near you in Cecil.

Back