How shocking…. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How shocking….

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have had my new Rancho 9000x shocks on a while now and have given them a somewhat through appraisal.

I have arrived at several conclusions about their performance and a comparison to the two other sets of shocks I have used.

First, I have to say that the previous shocks I used were Edelbrock IAS for lowered Explorers. I have used them for about two years and I thought they were great, albeit somewhat “harsh” in ride quality. After several friends complained about the ride quality of my truck, I finally realized that it did indeed suck.

I decided that I wanted a top quality, adjustable shock for their replacement. After considerable research, I decided on Rancho 9000X shocks.

I have yet to fine tune and test all of the 9 adjustments on these shocks for the “best” possible ride, however, I have tested them on several settings.

My initial observations were very favorable; why did I wait so long enduring the old shocks when these were available? I suppose I fell victim to the advertising hype - after all the Edelbrock’s were specially made for lowered Explorers; they simply had to be the best!

I had loved the handling afforded by the Edelbrock shocks and pleasantly found it to be equaled by the 9000X shocks. The ride quality of the 9000x is vastly superior to the Edelbrock.

The Ranchos were easier to install too ( due to being able to adjust them ).

My only other set of shocks were the stock factory ones; the only good thing about them was the ride quality.

Lots of folks have opinions about various shocks, however, to be valid they really have to own and test the shocks that they tout.

Attachments

• ranchors9000.jpg
    ranchors9000.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 346

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't go wrong with the 9000Xs.........they truly are universal. Offroad, street performance, stock........they will tune in.

I need new shocks soon and that helps out alot. Im glad they helped your ride so much.

Originally posted by Robb
You can't go wrong with the 9000Xs.........they truly are universal. Offroad, street performance, stock........they will tune in.

Do you have 9000x shocks?

I do........but they are for an unfinished project. :D

My dad is running them on his stock '97 F150
One buddy of mine is running them on his "close to stock" 4runner
Another buddy of mine is running them on his far from stock CJ

I have driven/riden in all these rigs and I (and he owners) think the 9000Xs are great.

I have never heard a single negative comment about the 9000s. Although, yours would be the first lowered vehicle I have heard of them being used on. But, I know these things have a great range from stiff to soft, so dialing them in to lowered rig performance shouldn't be a problem.

The 9000x's are nice, and will be going on my Mounty whenI need some new shocks. I highly recommend them.

Al:

How do you like the 9000's for street driving? Cornering, expansion joints, pot holes, etc.

What size and brand of tires do you have?

I am thinking about buying the 9000's and Firestone Indy 500 tires in either stock (255/70/16) or one size over. Would like to think that this would give me a comfortable and decent handling street/highway ride.

Bill

aldive...

were you running the recommended shock (stock height) for the explorer? im considering lowering my again, but dont want to damage the shock.

hrmf, thanks

i already have a set of 9000x's and i want to lower my rig again. (i tried my hand at wheelin, and wasnt a huge fan of it after my truck started breaking left and right.) right now i have shackel/tt but i want to lower it with out possibly damaging the shocks. nobody can get me an answer to whether this is safe or not, including rancho =/

buy 3 get on free runs 3-1 to 4-30

I was reading a wheelin mag while my wheels were being balanced and saw that the buy 3 get free deal starts march 1st...............

Was a little disheartening as mine just arrived last week

289 to my door from sam's

these shocks ride awesome I am set at 3 in the front and 4 in the rear after a bit if messin this is where I like em....

Thing is, you ran Edelbrocks on a "lowered" truck.. thus making the Edelbrocks not live up to their full potential. Now yes, they were custom tuned for a lowered Explorer, but the shock itself (not tuned) at stock height could be rather comparable to your ride on the 9000X's. Just a thought.

Back