Shocking Info

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
So, I have spent the last four hours looking threads asking people about what shocks to run or for opinions on certain shocks. I thought, what a great idea to be able to look in one place for that information. I realized I had not seen a thread which allowed people to post what shocks they're running, what they thought about them, if they'd buy them again and what they paid for them. Kind of like a shock buyers guide for Explorer owners, real world feed back from the people using the shocks YOU may be interested in on a rig exactly like yours! So, post up. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bilstein 5150 14" stroke in the front, I have loved them so far but they need replacing. Bought 4 used for $100 (I think they are $100 each brand new) and they lasted me 3 years. If this is the level of performance I can get from a used Bilstein, I would definitley love to get some new ones.

Pro Comp ES9000 10" stroke in the rear, these seem to ride a little rougher than the Bilsteins but flex well. I paid $70 and some change for both shocks, new. I would only revert back to the Pro Comps if I had a limited buget until I could afford something that performed better, however they work well enough.

I put 4 Gabriel Ultra shocks on my '05 Sport Trac. Pretty sure that it was still on stocks with 140k+ miles. It did appear to give my truck a slight lift that even a coworker noticed. Perhaps it was temporary until the shocks settled in. IMHO, for most drivers, any new shocks would make a dramatic improvement over worn out ones, stock or otherwise.

The only basic bolt on shock I have experience with and would recommend is the Bilstein 5100. My friends and I also use our trucks differently than a majority of people on here though, as go-fast desert trucks mostly. For that reason I personally won't be putting anything but a valvable, rebuildable shock on any of my trucks in the future. They definitely cost a lot more but the performance can't be beat if you get them tuned well enough for the vehicle and driving style, and they are much more a long term investment and can potentially be used for the life of several vehicles, or sold for a good chunk of change as used. I have 2.5" Sway-a-Ways right now and they are as good as any other comparable shock, and very easy to work on. I have used Fox 2.0" and Bilstein 7100s in the past, and they are both great shock. The Foxes require a lot more valving because the pistons flow so much, the Bilsteins were a little more difficult to work on, and they both have a strange code for their valving specs which I don't understand. I have also been dealing with enough problems from buying used shocks and rebuilding them, that I probably won't be buying used anymore. I would not recommend FOA though, as there are far too many horror stories to be spending that much on something that could have big problems right out of the box.

I had TrailMaster SSV 's for a 5-6" lift on my Ranger (6" DJ coils ,beam in the 4" position) for a few years, they were ok, Bilstien 5150 measured to fit ( warning 5150 only has a 1 YEAR warranty) with Deaver g50 leafs no bumps or limit straps and they leaked just out of warranty , they were great in that 1st year. Bilstien makes a application specific Ranger 6" shock now so it should have a lifetime warranty . I just ordered Skyjacker M95's and should have them on tomorrow !! Will sign back in and post how I like them (or don't)

I had TrailMaster SSV 's for a 5-6" lift on my Ranger (6" DJ coils ,beam in the 4" position) for a few years, they were ok, Bilstien 5150 measured to fit ( warning 5150 only has a 1 YEAR warranty) with Deaver g50 leafs no bumps or limit straps and they leaked just out of warranty , they were great in that 1st year. Bilstien makes a application specific Ranger 6" shock now so it should have a lifetime warranty . I just ordered Skyjacker M95's and should have them on tomorrow !! Will sign back in and post how I like them (or don't)

Kona - How are your Skyjacker M95 shocks holding up? Like them?

Kona - How are your Skyjacker M95 shocks holding up? Like them?
I like them more then the Bilstien 5150's I had , they are a good value at what I paid , on sale $95 each with a $55 US dollar rebate for getting 4 .

What about the Skyjacker's do like over the Bilstien's?

I like mine given the heavier truck the Explorer is, they greatly control sway and don't seem to pack up too much under stutter bumps on gravel roads. I had Procomp previously and they were much too soft dampening.

I wonder if your ranger being lighter makes a difference there.

Once I regear, I might start exploring some more serious options for a bit more off-road capability beyond the light trail driving I currently do. I'd love to do a coilover conversion. That opens up lots of adjustments to tune ride and performance.

The only basic bolt on shock I have experience with and would recommend is the Bilstein 5100. My friends and I also use our trucks differently than a majority of people on here though, as go-fast desert trucks mostly. For that reason I personally won't be putting anything but a valvable, rebuildable shock on any of my trucks in the future. They definitely cost a lot more but the performance can't be beat if you get them tuned well enough for the vehicle and driving style, and they are much more a long term investment and can potentially be used for the life of several vehicles, or sold for a good chunk of change as used. I have 2.5" Sway-a-Ways right now and they are as good as any other comparable shock, and very easy to work on. I have used Fox 2.0" and Bilstein 7100s in the past, and they are both great shock. The Foxes require a lot more valving because the pistons flow so much, the Bilsteins were a little more difficult to work on, and they both have a strange code for their valving specs which I don't understand. I have also been dealing with enough problems from buying used shocks and rebuilding them, that I probably won't be buying used anymore. I would not recommend FOA though, as there are far too many horror stories to be spending that much on something that could have big problems right out of the box.

Hey Mounty71, what do you mean about the FOA shocks having big probs out of the box? I haven't read too much negativity about them. There is a lot of fanboyism anymore, its hard to separate fact from fiction anymore.

Back