How to: $32 Spring Over Axle Conversion - SOA | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: $32 Spring Over Axle Conversion - SOA

so whats with the "set the perch to 0*" whats the difference in doing that to just measuring from the stock perch to the new perch? I don't know about everyone else...but i don't have the leveler like you do...but i have a tape measure!! haha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so whats with the "set the perch to 0*" whats the difference in doing that to just measuring from the stock perch to the new perch? I don't know about everyone else...but i don't have the leveler like you do...but i have a tape measure!! haha

exactly what I did...and tried to explain in post 6. some things are easier to show in person than explain in the internets.

... i don't have the leveler like you do...but i have a tape measure!! haha
5 bucks:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34214

Also available from most hardware stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

34214.gif

Where is a good place to buy the square U-Bolts and perches for our SOA's?

Why do you need square u-bolts? Mine are round.. But to answer your original question.
I get mine from a local shop that makes leaf springs. But I have seen them at autopart stores to. I would try your local phone book/yellowpages first, i never use the phone book anymore but I found alot of shops in my area that way.

Autozone has a set of 4 square u bolts for 15 or so bucks. I would just use round ones tho, put the round end under your axle and bolt it up over the axle. If you see what I'm sayin. Then make some shock mounts that go on the swaybar mounts.

Autozone has a set of 4 square u bolts for 15 or so bucks. I would just use round ones tho, put the round end under your axle and bolt it up over the axle. If you see what I'm sayin. Then make some shock mounts that go on the swaybar mounts.

Thanks guys.

I guess it depends is you put the plate with the shock mount above or below the axle. From what I see:

1. Install shock mounting plate UNDER axle: need square U-bolts with threaded end facing down.

2. Install shock mounting plate ABOVE axle: need round U-bolts with threaded end facing up.

I would think 1. would be a better bet shock-travel-wise, assuming the shock is long enough. So I guess thats why I was looking for the square bolts.

WHATS THE OPINION ON BRACKRY ABOVE OR BELOW THE AXLE? The sticky on SOA shows shock bracket 'below', while other pics I've seen show it above the axle.

with my soa, i actually put the bracket on the bottom. but im in the process of flipping it and putting it on the top. ive had the shock plate hang up on a tree root once in deep ruts.
but its pretty much just a matter of opinion for most people.

hey great idea i've been reading into this thread and my only question is with the shocks, when you did it the before changing it again, you reattached the existing shock mounts on the bottom of the stack, and then where did you attach the top of the shock, also did you purchase the shocks with the 2.5"lift when you first did it, or were they just your stock shocks, thanks

Im currently in the process of performing the Spring over axle SOA on a 91 exploder, i had existing 2.5" lift but i put the shock mount bracket on top of the spring
1) because i could use my original round bolts
2) because there will be less dragging under the axle.

the problem i have is my drive shaft is about 2.25" short. so i am having to modify my drive shaft.

plus the emergency brake cable on the driver side was not long enough.
sway bars had to go.
working on buying new shocks.

I know there is a bracket on the driverside that is supposed to be bent to compensate for the soa. Does anybody have any pics of this bracket? I need more info on what to do with the brakelines for the rear starting my soa today. Please help. Pics too if available.

Follow the flexible brake line that goes from the rear axle up to the chassis. At the chassis-end of that line will be a metal tab/bracket - thats what you need to bend down.

Thanks got it done!

what about the front i have a 99 xls 4 door need help on front

what about the front i have a 99 xls 4 door need help on front

Searchasaurus, lifting the font has been discussed since the protoplanets were still coalescing.

for all the guys who have asked to lift the front, you need to search other threads.

Spring over axle is very popular and the exact same for 1st gen (91-94) and 2nd gen (95-01). 1st gen needs a ttb lift and a 2nd gen needs an ifs lift of some sort. You can go solid axle on either year but that is pretty involved. The front lift involves a kit with drop down brackets on either year and is expensive. Probably the cheapest thing i've seen guys do is a 2" coil spacer or adjust their torsion bars and then slope a body lift to be 3" in the front down to stock in the rear to level the truck out. Search for those key words in you will find trucks set up like this.

*edit-2wd trucks can also add a longer spindle to raise the front.

right on page 3 of this thread for ya.

What's the setup for the front ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back