How to: - How To: AVM Hub Conversion, 2006 Ranger | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: AVM Hub Conversion, 2006 Ranger

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Hey all,

Since you don't see too many 2nd gen Ex's around with manual hubs I thought this might catch a few eyeballs.

IMGP0728.jpg

IMGP0729.jpg

After I did this mod I didn't like the look of the stock wheels without the center caps so I just put my caps back over the hubs. When I do any wheeling I just pull em off and throw em in the truck. But I thought you always see Excursions and F-250's with open center caps from the factory, so the light bulb came on and there you have it. Late model Explorer caps with the center removed. Just took a rotary tool and followed the line around the FORD emblem. It almost looks stock.

So there's my little bit of on the fly engineering.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks really good!

Thanks Scott,

I was in the u-pull-it the other day looking for a window relay and I opened the door on this mid 2000's Explorer and they were sitting on the driver seat. I guess when I saw them the light went on. It worked out pretty well. There was a border around "FORD" and it was the right size, I guess I got lucky. I think it looks cool any way.

...X2 on the hub cap mod...:biggthump

...But until we see some good wheeling pics with these hubs locked, it's still just bling..:p:

Hey tbars,

Here in southern NJ its mostly sand washes and swampy woods trails. Nothing very exciting there. But my friends and I do go down to W Va for some white water action once a year and I always try to get a little wheelin in while we're there. Thats what most of these mods are for. Next time I'm down there I'll get some pics for ya.

...That would be great..:biggthump

...And Scott knows I am just giving him a hard time with that comment...He refuses to let that truck get down and dirty..:D

..Waiting for my phone to ring for his reply...:rant:...:D

Thanks Glen!

$?

I just found this and it is a great writeup was is the price or did I miss it?:D

Prices approximate (going from memory)

Unit bearings - 225 each
Axle shafts - 50 each (up to 300 each, depending on supplier)
Knuckle Seals - 13 each
Orange snap rings - 2.75 each

Rockauto has most of the parts.

PS - the Ford original units I pulled out were Timkens.

Thanks for the fast reply. 2 questions hub price? and did you change the cv for a fresh seal surface or is the axle different? This is a mod that I am really interested in. Any other info would be greatly appreciated your writeup was very good and everything looks pretty straightfoward:thumbsup:

Hub == unit bearing. The 98-00 style, like I used, is about 30% more expensive than the live axle style.

I replace the entire CV axle - you have to replace it to get the different end style. (I guess you can find just the outer stub, but I don't know where. It was easier to buy a new axle.)

The swap was extremely straightforward - just expensive.

I bought new unit bearings, but got the CV shafts from a wrecked 99 Ranger. I figured that since the ranger was not a live axle the shafts should have a lot less wear on them. My shafts have 188,000 on them so I figured a lower mileage ranger would do for a donor. And if there were issues later on I would replace them. I priced around online and got the unit bearings for $305.00 for the pair. I believe they were Timken. The seals can be had at any good parts house. The axle retainer clips and hub bolts are Ford pieces. As I recall neither very expensive. The only thing I would add to Scott's write up would be to replace the differential seals regardless. Mine looked fine and didn't leak before hand but I had to change them later.

Brain cramp haveing am I

:confused:I think I missunderstood you the bearing unit comes with the locking hub? That is the last of the price puzzle for me also did anyone notice a difference in mpg's?

The locking hubs are about $150.00 a set.

kool thanks

so let me get this right i have a 2gen exsplore sport and if i get these hubs and the convstion kit it will fit my exsplorer and i will have manual locking hubs. i just want to be sure befor spending the money.

That is correct. If you look back a few posts those are pics of my 99 Mountaineer. That is a 2nd gen. Now there are other things to consider. If you have a BW 4405(control trac) t-case you'll need to do the brown wire mod or swap out to a manual t-case. This is because if you unlock the front hubs the GEM will detect the difference between the front and rear wheels and think the rears are spinning. It will then try to compensate and spin up the front shaft. The brown wire mod removes power from the torque on demand motor so this can't happen. Confused yet? Actually pretty simple just search brown wire mod. If I can help let me know. However I see in your specs you have an 02, I'm pretty sure thats a 3rd gen.

MPG's?

Did anyone notice a increase in mpg's? I'm doing this either way just wondering if this would be an added benny:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 02 is a mix between a 2gen and a 3gen if you get a sport its like a 3gen body and a 2 gen frame and drive train. and i dont need to the brown wire mod it came with a non auto 2wd.

Back