How to bypass door ajar switch for liftgate glass | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to bypass door ajar switch for liftgate glass

This afternoon, I put the side mirror on passenger side with ease. I also silenced the sensor by splicing the wires together coming to the liftglass door ajar sensor. I found this without multimeter. When I disconnect the sensor (which means open circuit), door ajar shows up. So the other way by connecting them together means door is locked securely. I connect the wires by the quicksplicer, work fantastic.
The liftglass ajar sensor is only loosely attached by Ford's design. That explains why ajar error still there after replacing with a new sensor.
The photos below show how to remove the backpanel of rear liftgate.
1. Remove these two screws,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
2. Remove these two screws

3. Then apply forces along the rims of the plastic panel. Be CAREFUL the plastic tabs around the upper, left and right edges are horizontal. So apply force in horizontal way for these. Otherwise you will break them like what I did the first time.
4. Loose the yellow clip that connect the latch with the rear exterior door handle. Then remove the latch mechanism secured by the three screws.
\\\

5. You can see switch for the whole door in this picture. It's easy to replace.

6. For liftglass switch, I also remove the 4 screws around the square metal brackets, in order to remove it. After that, I spliced the two wires together to silence the sensor.
7. Finally assemble them reversely.

I cant see the images, someone could help me??????

I was able to get my switch out by removing the bolts in the catch and twisting the switch out by hand. I had a sticky switch. I freed it up, lubed it and now my interior lights come on when I open the liftgate glass. Happy days. :D
When you remove the switch, will the door ajar warning go off?

my guess would be yes? cause no switch=open circuit, but no experience with that myself though.. also, welcome to EF!!!!

When you remove the switch, will the door ajar warning go off?
Most likely. Remove the connector and stick a paper clip in it. If the door ajar warning goes out, cut the wires and wire nut them together. Or, jam a hard jumper on the connector and tape it up so it doesn’t short against anything.

Back