How to correctly change transmission fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to correctly change transmission fluid

kclaw

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have been reading on this forum how to change the automatic transmission fluid in my 97 Explorer w/ 150,000 miles. I just purchased it and the owner told me she never changed it or flushed it.

Does anyone know how to properly change it so I get out all the old fluid? I read that just dropping the pan only gets about 30% of the fluid. Is that correct? I really want to do it myself and don't want to pay someone to flush it so is there any other way to get out all the old fluid so I can put all new fluid in and also change the filter?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! You could disconnect the return line by the front cooler, and place a bucket with a hose in that area. Start the vehicle, and have somebody add fluid into the filler tube. Keep adding fluid, and draining fluid without letting it run dry. You might have to start, and stop the engine several times to keep up with the pace.

A tranny flush is a simple DIY driveway task; I highly recommend it.

Thanks, so there is no way to just drain all the old fluid out like you can do with engine oil?

The trans has easily a gallon of fluid filling the internal passages and torque converter, with the pan off. Many TC's now have no drain plug, the V8 4R70W does though. If the fluid is not looking good, running through some low cost fluid first would be wise, then changing the pan and filter next. Good luck,

wow thanks i was wonderin how to do this cus the shop i had my tranny replaced had this huge pump thing

Mate, These guys know what they're on about so it is wise to listen to 'em and follow there advice and welcome to the forums Cheers Foxy

Does anyone have instructions for changing the transmission fluid on a 2004 Ford Explorer.

You may want to look at the dates when you post, but the links above give good directions

I have 97 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc. I'm needing to change out transmission filter and gasket. Managed to get pan off partially. Wats the easiest way to take completely off I inherited this from my older brother

What do you mean "partially"? Do you have a big catch oil pan under? Did you unscrew all the bolts? Leave a couple just part-unbolted, so you can dump the oil on that side. Eventually some oil will remain in pan, I supported it on one end with a pizza box until I unbolted the last bolts and then drop it gently, level.

Back