how to get tranny onto shaft? three full days no luck please help i'm screwed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to get tranny onto shaft? three full days no luck please help i'm screwed

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
doing a clutch job on my 92 xlt did it one other time with few problems...let girlfriend drive it :thumbdwn:and tore the clutch up so anyway i have it all apart installed new pressure plate clutch/new flywheel throw out bearing and pilot bearing i just CANT GET THE THING BACK IN!!!:eek: i have tried with four people now and have about 15 hours into just trying to get it back on the shaft from there its a piece of cake...any suggestions...i took the transfer case off to make it lighter still seems impossible i know you need to line it up twist side to side support oil pan ect ect ect...like i said i have done it before took a little work but i BY MYSELF put it back in slid on after a couple hours and the TRANFER CASE WAS STILL ATTACHED!!! :Dnow even without it just cant get it work back on the engine...ive been without it for almost a week now and need to be able to drive to work...my coworkers dont like to be on time or go in at all so ITS REALLY SCREWIN' ME OVER PLEASE EXPLORER GODS GIVE ME SOME GUIDANCE???????:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your clutch disk is lined up it shouldn't bee too hard. Here is what I've always done. Put the trannie in gear so you can turn the tail shaft. Mate the trannie until it makes light contact with the clutch plate and turn the tail shaft until the splines line up. You should be able to feel when they do.

If everything is lined up at that point is should slip on into the pilot bearing with no problem.

no i dont have a transmission jack or adapter for my regular jack...i think its in nuetral but either way i can turn the tail shaft...no matter how much patience i have trying to line up the splines they just dont...i dont get it...i used the alignment tool so the clutch disc is lines up...i seriously need to get it anymore suggestions...obviously i'm gonna continue to try everything possible but it just not cooperating

Put the trannie in gear so you can turn the tail shaft. Mate the trannie until it makes light contact with the clutch plate and turn the tail shaft until the splines line up. You should be able to feel when they do.

Works for me everytime. Give it a try

FYI you can turn the tail shaft and it will never turn the whole tranny untill in gear. That is the only way to rotate the front shaft while spinning the tail shaft.

Do you have the right clutch disc? Take it off and test fit it to the trans splines woth the trans on the ground to make sure you have the right one.

FYI you can turn the tail shaft and it will never turn the whole tranny untill in gear. That is the only way to rotate the front shaft while spinning the tail shaft.

Yes, it has to be in gear to turn the front shaft. Spinning the tail shaft in neutral does nothing.

Also even with the ****ch alignment tool theres enough play to allow the clutch disc to be slightly off. I always look at the clutch disc while using the tool just to make sure its properly aligned. Most of the time if have to wiggle it around to get it perfectly straight. I'd also check that.

Also even with the ****ch alignment tool theres enough play to allow the clutch disc to be slightly off. I always look at the clutch disc while using the tool just to make sure its properly aligned. Most of the time if have to wiggle it around to get it perfectly straight. I'd also check that.

That is true and why I never used one. I was always able to eyeball the thing and get it right. Depending on the alignment tool can cause you problems if you are not careful.

Using the alignment tool make sure it is straight and not ****ed in any direction, it doesn't take much to cause a problem.

Once you get the splines lined up and started if you are having difficulty in getting the trannie to match up with the pilot bearing you can push the cluth in releasing the pressure on it. That will allow you to be able to work with getting it lined up.

make sure the hydrolic line is hooked up before pushing in the clutch.

the alignment tool will go all the way into the pilot bearing so i know its lined up....the clutch is obviously stiff without the slave cylinder line in are you simply saying hook up the slave cylinder again an pump the clutch??? i think that might be all it needs but i wanna make sure thats what you mean? will the throw out bearing still push on the clutch disc if its no all the way in and its only maybe an inch no more than that to get it the rest of the way in...so what do i do?

i tried for 4 hours

I Tried For Four Hard A** Hours Looking For More Suggestions

It's really not rocket science, as everyone already stated getting the clutch to line up properly with the pilot bearing is key. Hold your alignment tool up to your spindle and see if they look similar. There are some plastic alignment tools that are junk and have way too much play so when the weight of the clutch is hanging on the tool it tends to sag too much which won't allow the spindle to slip into the bearing. It's always good to eyeball everything after you have the clutch clamped down with the pressure plate(as already stated).

The fact that you can insert the alignment tool doesnt mean much since it could be the alignment tool that is off. You can also use a caliper to measure both your alignment tool and spindle to see if they are very far off. I have a universal tool that has about 20 different adapters that seems to fit better in most situtations however you still need to align it by eye.

You may also want to count the splines on the alignment tool versus your tranny spindle just to double check that the clutch is correct.

Did you replace the pilot bearing? if so are you sure they gave you the correct one?

is your spindle slipping into the clutch at all?

Edit: one other thing is that the tranny must be parrallel to the engine, it is sometimes better to just ditch the jack and man handle that thing into place so you can wiggle it side to side and up down, just don't let the weight of the tranny hang on the spindle. have the jack ready to pu in place once it slips together.

The clutch is independent of the trannie being in. If you have the Hydraulics hooked up it will work if you don't have air in the lines.

You can with the alignment tool push the clutch in and realign the clutch plate if needed.

If the trannie is lined up with the splines but won't go into the pilot bearing, pushing the clutch in and moving the trannie around a little bit can help in getting it in.

As stated in another post don't let the trannie hang unsupported by the input shaft.

The clutch is independent of the trannie being in. If you have the Hydraulics hooked up it will work if you don't have air in the lines.

You can with the alignment tool push the clutch in and realign the clutch plate if needed.

If the trannie is lined up with the splines but won't go into the pilot bearing, pushing the clutch in and moving the trannie around a little bit can help in getting it in.

As stated in another post don't let the trannie hang unsupported by the input shaft.

If the clutch isnt lined up then the tranny isnt going on no matter how hard you push and wiggle. But if the clutch isnt lined up and the throwout bearing is close enough to engage the pressure plate fingers then yes pushing the clutch pedal in will disengage the clutch thus allowing the input shaft of the tranny to properly line the disc and it should go on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i finally got it thanks for all that helped

How about telling us what the problem was, just so it might help others. There has been a lot of people look at this thread that might be helped.

Back