How To: Install F150 Ford Emblem Backup Camera in Sport Trac | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install F150 Ford Emblem Backup Camera in Sport Trac

i am starting to wonder if i could use sirus if needed, i am going to call coastal tech and ask, i have a feeling they made the wiring harness wrong,

the blurryness is not that bad i dont think anybody would even know.

i will post back with some pictures

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed mine today. I haven't gotten the damn camera yet but I did wire it up with the video cable to rear. Now I'm waiting for the camera and tear down the rear hatch.
My only two complaints was, it was a b*tch to get the deck into the dash with all the wires and rca cables. Second, the instructions suck and not detailed enough.

I do like all the fancy features and my daughter loves the dvd player. Also works with my iphone 4.

Ok, the only problem I've experienced is my local clock keeps resetting to GPS time which is 10 hours difference.

84con, did you connect any other wires on the black plug besides the reverse, brake, and sub wire?

Ok, the only problem I've experienced is my local clock keeps resetting to GPS time which is 10 hours difference.

84con, did you connect any other wires on the black plug besides the reverse, brake, and sub wire?
You have to set the navigation software in the settings menu to automatically set the timezone. That should correct the clock thing. Mine was doing the same thing, I emailed the seller, and he gave me that solution. It has worked so far.
BTW, I've been finding more and more bugs with this system. The radio RDS function is junk in the USA. It displays category information wrong and some of the words in the programming are even misspelled like "Educatioin". Also, the RDS automatically sets the radio station preset labels, which is very annoying to me since every radio station around here uses RDS to advertise. I emailed the seller and the parent company about a way to turn it off and there isnt one. They both stated that there is no firmware fix for it at this time either. The RDS system is for Europe only, not the US. Nice to know now. Also, my GPS is acting buggy quite a bit. It is still definitely worth the 600 dollar price tag, it just needs some software refinement. A future upgrade that worked out the bugs would make this OEM type quality.

You have to set the navigation software in the settings menu to automatically set the timezone. That should correct the clock thing. Mine was doing the same thing, I emailed the seller, and he gave me that solution. It has worked so far.
BTW, I've been finding more and more bugs with this system. The radio RDS function is junk in the USA. It displays category information wrong and some of the words in the programming are even misspelled like "Educatioin". Also, the RDS automatically sets the radio station preset labels, which is very annoying to me since every radio station around here uses RDS to advertise. I emailed the seller and the parent company about a way to turn it off and there isnt one. They both stated that there is no firmware fix for it at this time either. The RDS system is for Europe only, not the US. Nice to know now. Also, my GPS is acting buggy quite a bit. It is still definitely worth the 600 dollar price tag, it just needs some software refinement. A future upgrade that worked out the bugs would make this OEM type quality.

I've tried everything tinkering with the settings. The seller sent me three Alaska map updates and tried them and still no luck. He's know sending me a complete map update on dvd, he said there's probably a corrupt file somewhere.

I have the "Educatioin" as well. Very annoying when I'm listening to a rock station; unfortunately, it can't be changed. As for the navi, it's pretty accurate and better than the factory nav (IMHO). But some of the features seem to reset after I turn them off. I'm still debating if it's worth the $700+ I put spent on this thing.

I've tried everything tinkering with the settings. The seller sent me three Alaska map updates and tried them and still no luck. He's know sending me a complete map update on dvd, he said there's probably a corrupt file somewhere.

I have the "Educatioin" as well. Very annoying when I'm listening to a rock station; unfortunately, it can't be changed. As for the navi, it's pretty accurate and better than the factory nav (IMHO). But some of the features seem to reset after I turn them off. I'm still debating if it's worth the $700+ I put spent on this thing.
Yes, like the speed warning always comes back on and the volume is automatically set to mute. Hopefully they will release a new firmware at some point. Unfortunately these units arent really that popular and there really isnt a forum or crowd of people to tinker with the software like there is for the pioneer stuff.

I want to install a Boyo license plate back up camera on my 08 STA with factory navigation. I was ready to tackle the project and everywhere I turn,I'm told the factory nav won't interface....anybody have an idea on this situation? I would rather not cut and splice....is there a plug and play for this application?

I want to install a Boyo license plate back up camera on my 08 STA with factory navigation. I was ready to tackle the project and everywhere I turn,I'm told the factory nav won't interface....anybody have an idea on this situation? I would rather not cut and splice....is there a plug and play for this application?

yes it is called costal tech lock pick interface it is about 220.00 bucks

did you see the pictures of my install on page 2?

Sure did. I just ordered the unit from Coastal.
Thanks

Good luck getting that lockpick anytime soon. Coastal is back ordered. I just cancelled my order after waiting forever and ordered one from solidsignal.com for 259 yesterday. Should be here today.

That's just great

That's just great

I'm seriously about to give up on the lockpick. Have you ever wondered if fait is trying to talk to you. Here's the short version... Ordered one from Ebay about a month ago. The seller had a "family emergency" and wasnt able to ship the lockpick, so I had to go through the ebay dispute resolution to get my money back. I then order it from coastal directly. They tell me it is backordered and will be shipped within a week. A week goes by, nothing. They tell me early next week. I find one for sale (in stock) at Solidsignal.com. It arrives today via next day delivery, so I cancel the order with coastal. Well, I open the box and the "brain" part of the lockpick is missing. The wires are all there, the main unit is not. I call them and they tell me that they cant send me another one because it was the last one and that coastal is backordered, so they cant drop ship it now. I was PISSED! So, Im sending the pieces I got back for a full refund. I'm now back to square one. Maybe Ill just try again in a few weeks with Coastal. :( I'm starting to think I should just give up on the idea and buy a mirror with a monitor in it.

Yep, they are out of stock on there own product. Pretty silly.

Well, I finally got my issue with my clock resetting resolved. Now I hope there's something for the "educatioin" mispelling.

84con, have you tried hooking up a laptop to the usb on the deck?

Well, I finally got my issue with my clock resetting resolved. Now I hope there's something for the "educatioin" mispelling.

84con, have you tried hooking up a laptop to the usb on the deck?

No I haven't, have you? How did you fix the clock?

Not yet, but I thought maybe I could find something with it being hooked up to the laptop. Anyway, put the microSD into your computer and go to 'sys.txt' file in SD card/navione folder. Open this 'sys.txt' file, you can see the time zone settings (about halfway down):

[timezone]
sync_os_timezone=1
reset_os_timezone=0

change to sync_os_timezone=0

There's alot of other settings that could be changed but I didn't tinker with that part yet. I did look for the 12/24 hour format but didn't find it. Cause on the radio it only displays 24 hour format.

I'm seriously about to give up on the lockpick. Have you ever wondered if fait is trying to talk to you. Here's the short version... Ordered one from Ebay about a month ago. The seller had a "family emergency" and wasnt able to ship the lockpick, so I had to go through the ebay dispute resolution to get my money back. I then order it from coastal directly. They tell me it is backordered and will be shipped within a week. A week goes by, nothing. They tell me early next week. I find one for sale (in stock) at Solidsignal.com. It arrives today via next day delivery, so I cancel the order with coastal. Well, I open the box and the "brain" part of the lockpick is missing. The wires are all there, the main unit is not. I call them and they tell me that they cant send me another one because it was the last one and that coastal is backordered, so they cant drop ship it now. I was PISSED! So, Im sending the pieces I got back for a full refund. I'm now back to square one. Maybe Ill just try again in a few weeks with Coastal. :( I'm starting to think I should just give up on the idea and buy a mirror with a monitor in it.

An update, after returning the lockpick (or what they sent me) to solid signal, I found another one for sale from a different eBay seller. It should be here within a week or so. We will see if it arrives with all of the pieces this time.

I contacted Coastal and they advised they expected the backorder in about a week or so, I also sent an email to support. Support advised they expected the units in less than a week.. I received tracking info from UPS advising of the delivery....it came today. I will attempt the install this weekend. All components appear to be in the package....will advise...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed the lockpick. It kind of works. It did not create a RSE DVD input like promised, so no external audio. Coastal tech support's answer was to use a FM modulator. Real nice answer. One of the wiring harnesses had a broken wire (the power wire), which I had to solder on. The "RAP" remote accessory power delay when you open the doors has gone haywire and the lockpick doesnt support it, so the screen goes white when you turn off the car until you open the doors. According to coastal tech support, this is normal. So far, overall its a piece of junk for the $250.00 price tag. $100.00 dollars and it would have a better review. It does work well for my backup camera though. With a modulator I can watch movies and hear audio off of my iphone. It does slightly degrade the video quality of the head unit passing through the lockpick. Installing the lockpick wasnt too bad, but if you are afraid to disassemble your 1000 dollar navigation system, then look elsewhere. The install is pretty extensive, but the included DVD is very helpful.

After reviewing both the trustigo generic head unit and the oem ford unit with a lockpick, I think Id recommend the trustigo unit. Although it has some bugs which have been previously mentioned, it has a better overall GPS system with lane assist and faster satellite aquisition, bluethooth, USB unputs, multiple video in and outs, etc. The OEM system has slightly better sound and better reliability, but the cost is far more. Ive got around 1300 into the factory navigation with lockpick versus 600 into the trustigo model. Im running both setups. The trustigo unit is in my wifes Explorer and the factory one is in mine.

Back