How To: Install F150 Ford Emblem Backup Camera in Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Install F150 Ford Emblem Backup Camera in Sport Trac

84convertablegt

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I did this install on my previous 2009 F150, so I figured I'd be able to do it to my new Sport Trac. Here's a brief write up. First of all, you will need an 09-up F150 backup camera bezel and emblem setup with harness. I got mine on Ebay for $125.00 which included free shipping brand new. Seller was nailsandsales. The Sport Trac and F150 have the same size Ford Oval on the tailgate, which is about where the similarities end.

I used the following threads from F150online to help with wiring.
http://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2011-f-150/426079-2010-f150-mirror-backup-camera-install.html
http://www.f150online.com/forums/multimedia-navigation/383059-add-09-backup-camera-emblem-04-08-a.html
First step is to remove the tailgate. This makes is much easier. I put it on my kitchen table. This is what we start with.
2l9gk84.jpg

The next step is to remove the OEM oval. It is on with double sided tape. I pain to remove. Use a screwdriver but make sure you protect your paint.
28iwxms.jpg

I ruined the oval taking it off.
29bectg.jpg

The next step is a little scary. You have to cut out a square for the backup camera to fit in to. You will see about how much you need to cut. I didnt have a fancy tool so I drilled and used some snips. File it down and paint the exposed metal so that it doesnt rust. This is the worst part of the project.
i567py.jpg

Slide the camera in, checking for clearance. Route the wire down through the tailgate and out one of the holes in the bottom.
96b1mw.jpg

2rpb2o7.jpg

I used some clear silicone and then sheet metal screws to attach the camera bezel to the tailgate. This way there are no leaks around the camera. I will have some paint touchup to do once it all dries.
25hcvx3.jpg

Now to route the wiring. Drill a hole through the plastic under where the wires come out of the tailgate. The harness will be fed down under the bed through this hole.
106zdad.jpg

ic4kft.jpg

Now snap the Ford oval onto the bezel. Just be aware that it is a one time use oval. It will not come off now without breaking it.
rjgw00.jpg

You can figure out how to wire everything up on the F150 sites I posted. I will be using the camera with a new navigation unit from trustigo when I get it. The same applies for any aftermarket nav unit. I routed the wiring along the drivers side frame and drilled a hole into the passenger compartment under the wiring track on the drivers side next to the back seat. You can pull your power for the camera from the backup lights at the tailgate, but Im going to have mine switched with the ignition that way I can see what is going on back there even when the truck isnt is reverse. I will post more pics when I get the nav unit installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly useful. I have the sensors on the bumpers and have had no problems parking. Just wish the front right had them as well.

I would be interested to see what kind of view you get from that once its hooked up. Might just be the pictures but it looks like you will be seeing more of the ground than what is acctually behind you. Probably great for hooking up a trailer but I want to see how far behind the car you would be able to see.

I would be interested to see what kind of view you get from that once its hooked up. Might just be the pictures but it looks like you will be seeing more of the ground than what is acctually behind you. Probably great for hooking up a trailer but I want to see how far behind the car you would be able to see.
These cameras are mainly to see whats right behind you and to hook up a trailer, but here is what you see. It has a wide angle lens. You can actually see pretty far behind you and to the sides. I will post more when I get it all done.
163_0908_01z+2010_ford_escape+rear_view_camera.jpg

Very interesting and pics. I too like to see the rear view after it's completed.

Here is some pictures of my actual setup. Enjoy! Just finished up today.
2a9e6g8.jpg

nvtvvd.jpg

24zkpye.jpg

I used a kit from coastal electronics called the "lock pick" to hook up a rear camera - plug and play - had to take apart the dash around the GPS unit but was easy to do- great instructions. It came with a license plate camera and so far I have not had any problems with it.Put it in reverse and the camera comes on and looks like your picture. I can also watch DVD's while the car is driving and I can add a front camera if I want.

84convertablegt,

Is that a actual Ford Navi unit you have? I see them on Ebay pretty cheap and thought about changing the one I have. I always wondered if it fit with no modifications. Did you have to use the lockpick or does it have the hookups for the rearview camera? Thx

84convertablegt,

Is that a actual Ford Navi unit you have? I see them on Ebay pretty cheap and thought about changing the one I have. I always wondered if it fit with no modifications. Did you have to use the lockpick or does it have the hookups for the rearview camera? Thx
Thats the actual navigation unit I have yes. It's not Ford though. It's way better. I got it on Ebay from trustigo. It has Navigation, DVD playback, Picture and Video viewer, optional digital TV tuner, multiple video in and outputs, 3 usb ports, Bluetooth cellphone interface with visor mic, Ipod interface, Windows CE 6.0 with Word, Excel, etc. Really a very nice setup. It was only $599 plus shipping. I was skeptical at first, but this unit is awesome. I used to have a Pioneer navigation unit in my old F150 and this thing is 100 times faster, cleaner, and way more functional. It has Igo8 nav software which is very good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Explorer-Sport-Trac-DVD-GPS-Navigation-Stereo-Deck-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230ca44acdQQitemZ150535949005QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Also, it interfaces with the factory canbus system. Pretty much plug and play. Steering wheel controls work as well as the delay until you open the doors. It comes with all of the harnesses you need to hook it up. The only thing I had to add was a subwoofer crossover since the sub output of the receiver is full range. I used it with my factory sub. I also had to put a 2.2K ohm resister inline in the sub power feed to make it compatible with the OEM system. Very easy if you have car audio installation experience.

The best thing about this unit is that it looks OEM. It fits the hole perfectly unlike a double din aftermarket kit. Very pleased overall.

84convertablegt,

Thanks for the info. Sounds good. I may bite the bullet. Did it take the factory GPS antenna and does it use the Navteq disk?

I forgot to ask. I looked the ebay ad and it seems there's missing the upper mounting tabs to screw it into the dash. The stock one mounts with 4 screws. S

Uses its own GPS antenna. It's tight, but I put it right above the stereo under the plastic piece where the blinky security light is. Works fine there and is hidden. It does not use a Navteq disk. It has an SD card with the Navigation software on it. Includes maps of Canada, the USA, and Mexico. You can hook up multiple monitors and have a DVD playing in the back while you have the Navigation going in the front.

I forgot to ask. I looked the ebay ad and it seems there's missing the upper mounting tabs to screw it into the dash. The stock one mounts with 4 screws. S
You re-use the mounts from the factory stereo. They unscrew off of the OEM unit and screw onto the side of this one. I replaced a Audiophile 6 disc unit.

So the only additional item you got not included was the backup camera?

So the only additional item you got not included was the backup camera?
Yes, I purchased the backup camera separate from another ebay seller. That was a pain in the &$$ to install, but it works great. It would have been a lot easier to use an aftermarket camera, but I really like the look of the Ford tailgate camera. Everything else came with it. If you have a factory sub, you will have to do some additional wiring to get it to work. It's a little bit of a pain, but worth it. You have to add a low pass crossover and a resistor in the power circuit, but I found instructions online from F150 sites on how to do that.

84convertablegt, Thanks I appreciate it. I had the stock audiophile player at first and later upgraded to the factory nav unit but was somewhat disappointed on the lack of features. I may bite the bullet on this one.

84convertablegt, Thanks I appreciate it. I had the stock audiophile player at first and later upgraded to the factory nav unit but was somewhat disappointed on the lack of features. I may bite the bullet on this one.
Really you could sell yours on Ebay or here and cover the cost of this one no problem Im sure. I also wanted to go with the factory one, but it doesnt have many options and to use any of the options you have to have the thing reprogrammed and use a "lock-pick". This was much easier and it very expandable. It's also a fully functional PC really which doesnt do me much good, but you could add wireless internet, etc to make it really neat.

Yeah, I though about the lockpick but not worth it in the long run. Yeah, I prolly sell my factory one on Ebay and get atleast 75% of my money back.

Ok. I went ahead and bought one from the same ebayer seller. Now gotta find a good backup camera. Thanks again for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. I went ahead and bought one from the same ebayer seller. Now gotta find a good backup camera. Thanks again for the help.
Excellent. Honestly if you're looking for an aftermarket camera, they sell a pretty nice one too. Same seller.

Back