How to know if wheel bearings are bad | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to know if wheel bearings are bad

Do you mean like rust or wear ate away the mounting, a bushing is worn, or fastener(s) came loose? If the whole strut tower is loose at the top, you need to fix that, and it will need aligned due to that.
No. There is just some outward / inward amount of "play" designed into where the shock absorber attaches to the top of the knuckle attaches to the upper control arm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the reinstall wouldn't be too bad but I'm struggling to get all of the various bushing / bolt holes to align. Even using a Jack to push the lower control arm upwards it still needs to move toward the front of the vehicle but I can't seem to get it there.

Anyone else have issues with reinstall of the rear knuckle?

Edit: just re-informing, this is 2017 Explorer XLT in case it wasn't clear and working on passenger rear Wheel bearing / knuckle

Edit: just re-informing, this is 2017 Explorer XLT in case it wasn't clear .................................
That's what it shows in the margin. :)

That's what it shows in the margin. :)
Ohh, I see that now that I'm on desktop. On mobile, it doesn't show when in portrait view

Ohh, I see that now that I'm on desktop. On mobile, it doesn't show when in portrait view
You can also put info like this in your sig, including whether FWD/AWD/4WD and which engine. This makes things easier in the long run.

You can also put info like this in your sig, including whether FWD/AWD/4WD and which engine. This makes things easier in the long run.
Will do!

It will show if you turn your cell sideways to view landscape mode. ;)

Peter

It will show if you turn your cell sideways to view landscape mode. ;)

Peter
Indeed. That's why I mentioned the portrait view portion 😃

I thought the reinstall wouldn't be too bad but I'm struggling to get all of the various bushing / bolt holes to align. Even using a Jack to push the lower control arm upwards it still needs to move toward the front of the vehicle but I can't seem to get it there.

Anyone else have issues with reinstall of the rear knuckle?

Edit: just re-informing, this is 2017 Explorer XLT in case it wasn't clear and working on passenger rear Wheel bearing / knuckle
Just wanted to inform I have finally gotten it reinstalled by using my floor jack and a separate bottle jack to get the pressure in the right spots to position the knuckle. Soon as I am back home I'll be getting it finished up and then to double check the alignment

Back