How to mount a roof rack?

JTX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I just got my roof rack done and im not sure how im goona mount it. I dont have a stock roof rack to use. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i don't know how u built it, but u might look at after market racks and how they mount up, surcoinc.com , i have a surco safari rack, something like that should be easy enough but u might have to drill holes in ur rack, worth a look, the mount kits like mine are 30

I installed a yakima roof rack on the roof of my explorer since it didn't come with a factory rack. It was pretty straight forward, you just have to have the guts to drill holes in your roof and not go through the liner. Yakima has these things called plusnuts you use to attach it, but I just riveted it. Use lots of silcone to avoid rust/waterleaks

you dont have to drill through do you? i just installed a yakima system with the "q towers", it just clips, i dont have to drill....i know the "control towers" require drilling if a factory rack isnt already installed, but the q's dont...

I didn't have a factory roof rack before installing my safari rack...so I went down to the junkyard and pulled a factory roof rack off an X for about 20 bucks. Took it home, installed the factory runners on my roof and then mounted my safari rack. Like above just be sure and use lots of silicone for the holes...and you'll be set!!!

Back