How To Program Extra 2016 Key Fobs??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To Program Extra 2016 Key Fobs???

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Does anyone know how to do this? I was able to self program my 2011 Intelligent Key fobs (page #157 of the Owner's Manual), but these instructions have been removed from the 2016 owner's manual. It's a process of having all the original keys (2) in the cabin, new one in the center console, hit the door locks, hit the brake peddle, all in a special sequence.

FYI. These are the Intelligent Key fobs with the remote start function and keyless push button start.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, it seems like this has to be done by the dealership via computer. No more onboard ability like my 2011. Charges will be about $60 to program the fob(s).

Really that does suck...I have to look into this....thinking about picking up a 2016 in the near future.

Looked it up...IKTs you can program with two existing ones but not IA. Sounds like a good time to negotiate a 3rd one is during the initial vehicle purchase.

Looked it up...IKTs you can program with two existing ones but not IA. Sounds like a good time to negotiate a 3rd one is during the initial vehicle purchase.

Correct.

Good idea on the 3rd key negotiation. An IA Key Fob is about $180 (blank key and new fob....2 separate part numbers) plus another $60-70 for programing. FYI.

Maybe this will help future Explorer enthusiasts. Here are the part numbers:

Key Fob Only (all you really need) 164.R7989 (over $150)
Uncut key concealed blade (not really needed) 164.R7992 (over $20)
Dealership programing required, about $70

You can program IA keys with the Explorer as long as you have two admin keys. The 2018 fob works on 2016's too.

1. You must have two working IA keys
2. Insert the 1st working key into the key slot in the center console. Key ring up buttons out.
3. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
4. Push the start/stop button.
5. Remove the 1st key and place the 2nd working key in the key slot in the center consule. Key ring up buttons out.
6. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
7. Push the start/stop button.
8. Remove the 2nd key and place the new key to be programmed in the key slot. Key ring up buttons out.
9. Push the start/stop button and wait 5 seconds.
10. Push the start/stop button.

Back