How to pull steering wheel?

1998Exp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited V8 AWD
Unlike other vehicles that I worked on, my Ex does not have any threaded holes in the steering wheel, which the "conventional" steering wheel pullers need. Tried to use a small gear puller, but the central screw in this thing is 3/8", just good enough to sink in the M10 thread in the column, and damage it. Some gear pullers come with a conical "foot", but not mine and anyway, I can't see any small ones equipped with a foot that would be of the right size to fit in there. Looks like I may need to drill a hole in the center of an M10 stud, and thread it in the column for support, but there should be a better way. I am sure that some of you have removed the steering wheel; how did you do that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i used a gear puller but i put a socket on the steering column center and then butted the thread part of the puller against the socket, just be careful and try to use a socket that fits in there right. I can't remember what size socket i used for sure, i believe it might have been a 7/16, can't remember if i used a deep or shallow socket.

It must be on there good I just smacked the back of the wheel on each side and it popped off

Try this...
Loosen the steering wheel's nut until it's at the top of the shaft, but do not remove the nut completely. This is to protect the threads on the shaft. While pulling on the steering wheel have a helper take two hammers placing one on the nut/shaft and then hit this hammer with the second hammer. The shock may allow the steering wheel to pop off the splined shaft.

2 jaw wheel puller with socket or spacer over the center bolt so the puller has a dead stop to push against, the wheel will pull right off easily.

i must be the outcast. ive never used pullers. i unscrew the bolt, but dont completely take it out, grab the wheel with both hands then start wiggling and pulling at the same time.

i must be the outcast. ive never used pullers. i unscrew the bolt, but dont completely take it out, grab the wheel with both hands then start wiggling and pulling at the same time.

Ditto, done 2 last week. The key is don't take the bolt out LOL or your face will suffer.

That’s how we always did it on the E series, you really gotta muscle it tho

F493BDBF-0C61-4610-91D5-1FDD73856358.gif
I’ve always used a two gun puller...

Ditto, done 2 last week. The key is don't take the bolt out LOL or your face will suffer.

LOL, the first steering wheel I ever removed I smacked myself right in the bridge of my nose. Hurt like hell.

Hit yourself with a steering wheel on th bridge of your nose???? Ouch!

I once mounted a scope on a SKS “assault” rifle backwards.... looking through the scope, everything looked VERY tiny. But I was at the range to adjust the scope, and wanted to shoot anyway. Squinting down range closely through the reversed lenses, I fired. The recoil hammered the scope sight into my forehead. My eyes were washed with blood, and had a half moon shaped wound for awhile.

Stupid. Years ago.

MORAL OF THE STORY.... Be careful with steering wheels and rifles.

Have a nice day.

2 jaw wheel puller with socket or spacer over the center bolt so the puller has a dead stop to push against, the wheel will pull right off easily.
Many thanks for the two members who advised to put a socket as a foot at the end of the gear puller screw! 3/8" worked for me. For some reason (age? the steering wheel hasn't been removed in 20 years), the splines practically welded themselves and refused to budge. I almost gave up, fearing to break the soft metal of the steering wheel, but penetrating oil and patience did the trick. It will be going back with a dollop of anti-size on the splines.
By the way, the service manual insists on using a puller, and is strongly against any sort of "muscling" or beating, for risk of damaging the column.

I once mounted a scope on a SKS “assault” rifle backwards.... looking through the scope, everything looked VERY tiny. But I was at the range to adjust the scope, and wanted to shoot anyway. Squinting down range closely through the reversed lenses, I fired. The recoil hammered the scope sight into my forehead. My eyes were washed with blood, and had a half moon shaped wound for awhile.

Stupid. Years ago.

Have a nice day.
I to have whacked myself in the eye with a rifle .303 my eyes have gotten very bad
I have since then gave all my hand and long guns to my 15 year old
But I still have buckshot ...thanks Mr.Browning

Stupid. Years ago.

Have a nice day.

I was 18 at the time. We live, we learn.

Does the steering wheel need to mount or be indexed on the shaft in a certain position? For some reason I'm thinking the upper steering shaft isn't just a straight shaft with joints on it rather it is connected in an offset way which changes steering speed so it needs to be indexed properly. My steering feels different turning left than it does turning right.....or my mind is playing tricks on me. Maybe some other phenomenon.

Does the steering wheel need to mount or be indexed on the shaft in a certain position? For some reason I'm thinking the upper steering shaft isn't just a straight shaft with joints on it rather it is connected in an offset way which changes steering speed so it needs to be indexed properly. My steering feels different turning left than it does turning right.....or my mind is playing tricks on me. Maybe some other phenomenon.

The steering wheel and upper shaft have a shape that only allows it to go on in one position. There's a flat portion and the rest is splined. The joints at each connection along the shaft are also shaped so they only go together in one orientation.

Back