NEWB needs help with steering column | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEWB needs help with steering column

devistation9

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I tried to do a search for steering column removal. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I removed the screws and can't seem to remove the steering column on a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport. Is there something else that needs to be removed?? Do I need to remove the steering wheel first?? Thanks for any replies and tips.

Uhhhhhh
:confused:
Do you want to remove the whole column ? It is a LOT more than a few screws.

You need to separate it from the steering rack, undo the harnesses, and the column is hung by two 11mm ( 13 ? mm bolts )

Good luck.

I don't want to remove the whole column....

just the casing. I'm having problems with my turn signals, and I think the wires may have come loose from the harness. I can't seem to remove the casing.

On my 99 Sport, there are 3 screws holding the plastic steering column covers together. Remove the handle for the tilt steering stalk by simply unscrewing it. Remove the 3 screws from the bottom of the steering column, pull the top piece toward you and then slide it off the gear lever, the bottom part should just The harnesses for the turn signal switch should be visible now. You'll need a torx socket to remove the turn signal stalk. Be careful with the wire harnesses because I learned that the wires will easily pop out of the back of the harness, losing whatever function the wire controls. If they do come out, stick them in snugly and perhaps you could use some electrical tape to keep everything together again. Good luck...

Back