How to remove a radiator fan from a 04 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove a radiator fan from a 04 ford explorer

scardoza

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, or
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
How do you remove a radiator fan from a 04 ford explorer? My husband has to change the timing chains and can't figure it out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would pick up a chiltons or haynes repair manual from a auto parts store. Them are nice to have when working on anything if you dont understand it or cant find the information on these forums.

good luck

Special wrench to remove the fan from the hub. KD Tools makes one and Harbor Freight Tools carries them also. It's specific for Ford. You may want to try Autozone to see if it's part of their tool rental program (free). It's basically a large flat open end wrench.

It's actually a set of wrenches... a verity of sizes to try, one that holds the fan from spinning while the other one loosens it off the shaft. Either way they are just enormous cresent wrenches. Autozone, AdvanceAuto, Orielly, all the major part stores carry the rentable kit.

Special wrench to remove the fan from the hub. KD Tools makes one and Harbor Freight Tools carries them also. It's specific for Ford. You may want to try Autozone to see if it's part of their tool rental program (free). It's basically a large flat open end wrench.

And, if you foresee the possibility of future work, my best understanding of Ford repair procedures has always come from Ford Shop Manuals. imp

www.helminc.com

Get a Haynes manual or something similar. Also I have found out that the fan clutch tool to rent from autozone does not fit the fan snout, but you can improvise with a very large cresent wrench or channel locks.

Also, the transmission cooler is attached to the radiator and will come out with the engine radiator when you pull it. So you will have to disconnect the transmission lines from the cooler to get the engine rad out with it.

easy and fast use a long steel rod an a hamer hit the nut on the side you want it to go to unscrew hit it on the left side might not be the best way but it would save you some bucks!!!!!

easy and fast use a long steel rod an a hamer hit the nut on the side you want it to go to unscrew hit it on the left side might not be the best way but it would save you some bucks!!!!!

How does that save money when you can rent the proper tools for free from any auto parts store :rolleyes:

Never done this on the Ex - yet - but on my old blazer I used a basin wrench. The one you'd use on your sink.

You will need special tools to properly set up the timing chains as well.

You will need special tools to properly set up the timing chains as well.

+1 on this. The ford/OTC cam positioning tools are essential.

I dunno how you're going to handle timing chains when you can figure out how to get the fan off. Plus he sent his wife looking for info...

Back